Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never shed

Re: [help] how to breed guppies?

Quote Originally Posted by KITKAT View Post
    Guppies... my area of childhood expertise!

First, water quality is EVERYTHING... but guppie babies are so small that normal filtration can suck them to oblivion... so frequent water changes are the route to success.

The second thing everyone makes a mistake on is size of container...

A ten gallon tank will hold ten adult guppies in healthy condition. One gallon to one inch of fish is the general rule, if you are using regular tank sizes (no hex, tall, bow front, or other funky proportions).

Next, is temperature. Guppies can live between 45 degrees farenheit, and 85 degrees farenheit. However, optimum breeding temperature is 78 degrees. More, and the metabolism runs high, making them eat more... foul the water more... and less, and the length of time between litters of babies increases.

Guppies do well with a TRACE amount of salt in their water. Get aquarium salt at the fish store and follow directions.

The healthiest strain of guppies I ever raised were crosses between fancy guppies and common (feeder) guppies.

It is hard to find healthy feeder guppies because pet store employees think of them as expendable, and touch them with their bare hands when counting them out. This usually does irreparable damage to them.
    how old guppies is proper to be fed to garter?

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by anji1971 View Post
    I've never purposely tried to breed guppies, but when I got the first garter, I bought three or four feeder guppies to try her on. When she wouldn't eat them, I figured I'd just keep them in a little bowl as pets, and within a couple weeks I had 12!! So I don't think it will be very hard to get them going!!
    is it true? then wat i need to do is just feed'em like normal fish?

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

pretty much, i would get one of those filters that sucks up the dead fish because mortality rates are pretty high whens there a lot of guppies and just keep the water clean and there good
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn777 View Post
    is it true? then wat i need to do is just feed'em like normal fish?
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

The Leader of the Eastern Gang anji1971's Avatar

That's all I did, fed 'em like normal fish, and changed the water every day or two. Like I said, I wasn't actually trying to breed them, so I don't know if it matters more what you do if you are.
    Anji

Well...I breed guppys for my babies, yep, ti's really easy, the Guppy is a strong fish really, and have a lot of babies very quick, the professionals recomend certain water properties to keep them such as:

PH 7.1 - 7.5 (little bit alcaline and semi-hard)
    Temperature between 20º - 28º C
    Anti chlorine (with vitamin B1)

But....I just watch the temperature, use the Anti chlorine and wait till the water is clear (the filter does that job)... and I change it every month, it's recommended having 2 females per male, that is because the males are constantly following the females, a lot of plants and places where the newborns can hide and sometimes the females too, that's because the parents will eat the newborns, depend what you want, natural selection or having all the babies, in my case the first generation with 80 babies only 20 make it, so I put a plastic grid and now about 90% get to the correct size for feeding my snakes

Did you knew that a female guppy could use the spermatozoa of the male for 3 generations?...sometimes the female could get pregnant without a male in my case 2 generations were completely different from the male I have...

from my forays into the fish keeping world I'd say that regular water changes are the key to a healthy fish population
    with enough water changes, filtration isn't really that important
    when you have babies in the tank and you do use filtration, put a double layer of nylon stocking over the filter intake
    also - you can make a little "mop" out of synthetic knitting yarn and hang it into the tank for a good baby hidng place
    the ph is not that important either as long as there are no big fluctuations, so it's best to go with the ph of your local water sourse, unless it's way off range
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

As long as you don't over-feed, you don't even need to change the water that often. I've found that aquarium snails are excellent at putting any extra waste to use and keeping algae off rocks and glass. They may not be pretty, but they do a good job.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Well, guess what? I found guppies!!! At least a few pregnant females. I can get fancy males locally, so will either hang onto some male babies or purchase a couple of fancy males. What is the bare minimum I can get away with while keeping both adults and babies safe and stress free? For now I'm going to go with a 5.5 gallon tank, although I realize that it probably won't be big enough for very long... if I can keep from spending money until after Christmas hubby will be happier I've NEVER kept fish, so what do I need? A filter? Heater? Water conditioner? Anything specific? Help! I'm going to pick them up on Wednesday, so that gives me a tiny bit of time to get a tank set up and functioning! I've got the tank full of water, so that the chlorine can leach out, but that's it so far! Help!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

I would recommend a filter minimum, the water will cloud up quick without it.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Well, I did a little shopping around and a little more reading and decided to improve accommodations a bit I picked up a 12.5 gallon acrylic tank with a filter, heater, air pump, and some decorations for $20 I went and looked at walmart prices on the filter/etc and couldn't beat $20 and the little fishies get more room to boot

Ok, this doesn't solve the problem of me knowing nothing about setting up or maintaining an aquarium! Gonna give it a shot this morning and see if I can get everything up and running. Would looooove more advice!
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.