Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: help Help help help help

Sound logic indeed, James, and you bring up good counterpoints. As for observation, all you'd get to do is have a peek at a lethargic (but beautiful) snake once in a while. I suppose if that would motivate someone to learn more about it, then keeping it might be worthwhile. If not, it's definitely worth releasing right away. Best,

Rick

I would be reticent to take a snake that was in the middle of brumation.
    Rich

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

i didnt realize he was brumating until i took him back to the house and realized he wasnt really moving and he was cold
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com

Reed, we weren't 'having a go at you'. I realize what your thinking was. If your local temperatures aren't dangerously low, I would simply release the snake exactly where you found it. Failing that, you may be obliged to artificially brumate it at home.
    James.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Reed, I dont have a problem with what you did either- its really tough not to keep things sometimes. I would personally advise though, to enjoy him for a day or 2, get good pics and then release him right where you found it or into a very similar habitat. Try not to expose him to anything "exotic" like anything used with animals from outside your natural range, or anything used with any other animals, for that matter. Try to put him where he can find a good hiding spot- they love rotting logs. Technically, we are not supposed to release captives, but if he's only been in your possesion for a few days, and hasnt been exposed to anything that could cause him to bring non-native disease into the wild, I would go for it.

Edgy Exotic Reptiles EdgyExoticReptiles's Avatar

ok ill release him onto my hill where i found him, i have to giant log piles that i spread out close to each other but not on top of each other, i hav found many herps there thats where i found him
    Email:reed@edgyexoticreptiles.com
    http://www.edgyexoticreptiles.com