Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Second shed, A Success"

Re: Eastern Blackneck Garters now protected?

the local pet stores here in NC sell garters,,and different kinds to,,might get another sometime soon,,

"Second shed, A Success"

Quote Originally Posted by sschind View Post
    Still, the garters have a long way to go before I would consider them a popular pet species here in the US.
    I should amend that comment to being a popular pet species available in pet shops here in the US. Garter snakes are perhaps one of the most widely kept snakes simply because they are so plentiful and relatively easy to find in the wild. I'm sure many many people got their first start in the hobby by keeping WC garters. Its just that as they are introduced to more exotic species most people tend to forget about the local common stuff (not me, my favorite species of frog is still the Gray tree frog that I grew up surrounded by) Perhaps that is why you don't see them offered as much in the retail trade. I am sure that some stores carry a few but my guess is nothing compared to other colubrids.

Tying this in with the E. Blackneck discussion, I seriously doubt that a few people picking up a garter snake here or there to keep as a pet would have much of an impact on wild populations. Wholesale collection is the aspect of the pet trade that has to be watched closely, and being that garters are not so much in demand the problems of that may be more limited. Obviously those species and subspecies with a more limited range would be more at risk. Add to that the beautiful coloration and relative docile temperament of the E. Blacknecks I could see where it could potentially be a problem. Habitat destruction IMO is still the number one threat to wild populations. If it gets bad enough, sure, then plucking one or two prime breeding females to keep as pets could cause lasting damage to the population but if it gets to that point the species is probably doomed in the wild anyway.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I think it is the combination of collecting them to much and disturbing of the habitat. For example waterpollution. Frogs and fish dissapear and then there is no food for the garters.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Subadult snake

I think I know why someone said the Eastern Blackneck is now protected. From what I understand Texas is going to pass a law restricting the commercial sale/breeding/capturing of any native species. There is an active thread on a corn snake site about this as it pertains to corns but from what I can understand it pertains to all Texas wildlife. I tried to follow the link to the Texas government site but it did not work. If anyone wants the link to that thread PM me and I will give it to you.

Joanna

That need not to be bad.
    We have the same cardinal law.
    But it is possible to get a permission to breed and sell captive born specimens.
    So we have protected populations of Natrix, Bufo, Bombina ... and also hugh CB populations as well.
    Theres no cause for poaching because most native species are avaliable quite cheap with permission but without most of the native parasites
    Allready waiting for the sommer
    best wishes bis bald Udo
    Breeding Redsides EGSA-Chairman

"Second shed, A Success"

I agree with Joanna that this is probably the source of the information as I received it. If this is the case it should not effect sales outside of Texas.

As far as protecting native animals, I agree with zooplan that it need not be a bad thing. The only problem is that here in Wisconsin, where native herps are protected from sale but some are still allowed to be kept in limited numbers, is that they make no distinction between WC or CBB. They also, according to one person I talked to, make no distinction between subspecies, so technically I would be violating the law if I were to breed and sell ANY Thamnophis sirtalis subspecies, which really sucks.