Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: last garter found?!

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    What is that one that isn't protected?
    The common European adder (Vipera berus). Or European viper, as it's also called.

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

I am surprised that Vipera berus is not protected in Finland and all other reptiles and amphibians are protected.
    What is the reason why that species is not protected?
    In the Netherlands all species are protected.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

So am I. Well not really. I think it's one of these cases where the politicians are afraid that they might upset the public. Herpetologists all seem to agree that it should be protected, but the average joe still thinks that he needs to kill every snake (or snake-like lizard) that he comes across, just in case it might be the venomous Vipera berus. Finns rarely overreact, but when it comes to snakes, suddenly everything is about "protecting your family". You wouldn't believe the excuses they give for deliberately killing grass snakes, which, after all, is a protected species.

A part of the problem certainly is that most Finns actually come in contact with snakes as most families have a summer cottage somewhere in the countryside. But they never really get used to having snakes around.

So that's why I find it necessary to relocate wild snakes. If I don't, some dork will try to kill them with a shovel.

You perform a good job, relocating the snakes before they get killed.

Now I understand why Vipera berus is not protected.

Strange... in the Netherlands people are also not used to snakes (we don't have that many), but eventhough most people think their protection is a good thing.

Thanks for explaining it.

I hate it when people try killing anything they see. I mean, killing off an infestation in your house is one thing, but killing wild animals is another
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

I wouldn't quite put it that way, but exterminating animals just because you have a phobia, is something I find unacceptable.

I totaly agree with the sinceless killing. Just found a butiful Mole Kingsnake a few minutes ago comming onto the road and stopped to move it. Before I could the next car purposly ran over it.

Sid

Fear makes people do strange things before they think it over.

Hi, I'm New Here!

hi this is my first garter snake since i was young, went and bought a little set up she seems quite curious and very active i take this for a good sign except that she wont eat ive tried worms, pinheads a moth anything to get her attention its been a week any suggestions (not up to pinkies) thanks for your suggestions ytee29

This is about the right time for your snake to start showing interest in food, assuming that you've been gradually warming it up since you found it on 5 Nov. If it started flicking its tongue more frequently when you introduced the worm, it's a good sign, and she'll probably eat the worm if you leave it in your snake's pen overnight.

In my experience, the two easiest foods to get a garter started eating are worms and fish. If you have a shallow, white bowl (or jar lid) and can only add enough water to cover most of the fish, they will be highly visible and will splash around a lot. You should introduce the food when your snake is actively prowling around her enclosure. It's looking for food and the motion from the fish or worm should excite the snake and put it in predator mode. Guppies and rosie reds (AKA flathead minnows / Pimephales promelas) are good starter fish.

By making sure the temperature is right in its basking spot (~85-88 degrees) and providing plenty of hiding spots, she'll eventually eat. She was just preparing for brumation and needs a while to reacclimate to an active lifestyle. She had already undergone physiological changes for brumation and normally wouldn't have eaten for the next few months. If she goes over two - three weeks at higher temperatures without eating, you'll definitely want to revisit this issue.

As a bit of reassurance, look at my post from 5 November (http://www.thamnophis.com/site-news/...contest-2.html). I mentioned that it probably wouldn't eat for a week or so because it had already prepared for brumation. I know it's disconcerting, but try not to worry too much for a while longer . Thanks for keeping us posted on its progress, though. Kind regards,
    Rick