Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scale rot?

Never shed

Re: Scale rot?

Also, since the male had it on his jaw, I checked his mouth and there are no signs of infection, parasites, or other abnormalities.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

If you get a chance, you could take a small scraping of this (you said it was crusty). If it starts to get worse even with betadine, or doesn't seem to get better with a shed, you can take it to a vet and see what the issue is. The long freeze shouldn't harm the quality of a sample if you're looking for fungus or something...

But like Steve said, this looks pretty minor. Probably be fine with the betadine and shed off next time.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Never shed

Bit of an update here.
    The female seems to be doing better, though the infection is still spreading (slower, thanks to the betadine treatments). She is active, eating well, pooping normally and does not appreciate my efforts to help her- basically, normal behavior for her.
    The male, on the other hand, is doing much worse. While the infection has been shrinking down on him, he is rapidly loosing weight and muscle mass, is not interested in food at all, only passing urea (so at least he's drinking his water), is not nearly as active as he was, and seems to be having trouble controlling his rear half. I'm going to start a little force feeding tomorrow, a little bit daily, and see if that helps him. He came back negative for parasites, so I'm not sure what else could be going on.

I would say since the infection(?) is spreading it's time for a Vet. visit if that is possible. Antibiotic are probably needed.
    You can also search the web for other alternatives/treatments but that has to be your call.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

AZ wildlife officials have been finding snakes with the fungal infection that is sweeping across parts of the U.S. That (your pics) doesn't look like scale rot at all and the rest of the problems suggest a fungal infection. If so, it's definitely life threatening and sometimes difficult or impossible to treat. Only a vet can make the diagnosis though and determine what treatment is necessary.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Come to think of it, this looks exactly like a case a while back when a member posted pics of a garter with scabs around his mouth. Antiseptics didn't help.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Tea tree oil is a commonly used anti-fungal for fish. I'd definitely try to get them to a vet ASAP, but until you can you can pick that up at most pet stores. Probably has a brand name, so you'd need to look at ingredients. I can't think of any reason it would hurt, does anyone else know about it?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Never shed

Thanks everyone for the advice and the information. I'll be looking up the info on the fungus spreading here in AZ- now I'll have to worry how likely it'll be to transfer to my other herps. I'll likely pick up the tree oil tonight and start a round on that.
    Did another feeding last night- still no response from the male, and no fear response either from us moving around. Tried a force feed- he just spit it back up. At this point, with out bad he is doing and looking, I'm thinking of putting him down.