Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Re: Garters and Glass Swimming Pools for their cage....

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    Why not make it into a pond? If you did partial water changes and had lots of water plants you wouldn't need to take it out and clean it (plus the plants would let the snake swim without feeling exposed)
    Mainly because it is also their drinking water and a little "pond" would turn into an algae/bacteria infested little swamp in no time with partial water changes. Mine almost never poop in their water dishes but even then dishes get slimy and need to be scrubbed out after a few days (I am on well water which may have something to do with that, no chlorine or other additives to inhibit algae).
    1.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Flame and Albino Flame)
    5.2 Canines

You'd be surprised how well plants clean water. You could always give a small dish of drinking water
    Will

"Preparing For Third shed" Sonya610's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by -MARWOLAETH- View Post
    You'd be surprised how well plants clean water. You could always give a small dish of drinking water
    Real plants are way too much work but the pond idea is fun. Here is sort of a cross....glass dish with a small 1" pump that can work in as little as an inch of water. Maybe the best of both worlds, easy to pull the dish out and clean and with vines and a little pump it gives the effect of a small pond. Not sure if the pump itself would get dirty and pollute the water though.

Would be easy to throw a rock in it and turn it into a little waterfall as long as it didn't raise the humidity too much.

http://www.stormthecastle.com/terrar...-waterfall.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis (Flame and Albino Flame)
    5.2 Canines

"Preparing For First shed"

Cristal ponds work very well, I build one for my snake. The algae only grow when the terrarium is exposed to direct sunlight, if you change the water in the "pond" at least once a week you should have no problem, although I recommend changing the water more often. Putting plants is also a good idea, they create shade over the pond and prevent algae from growing, also they clean the water and take care of them is not difficult.

P. D. I love that site, storm the castle, that guy does almost everything .