Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

Re: Cabinet minister

Funnily enough, Stefan, I wanted to buy a cabinet from IKEA, but my lift let me down, so I popped into a secondhand shop. After I had picked that particular piece, I spotted a sticker on the back... it WAS an IKEA item anyway, lol! I think it might have been damaged in the store and donated as there's a small bit of damage in the paintwork and the doors are a little crooked, but other than that it looks unused.

I will measure it and let you know, James. The partition in the middle closes the small gap between the doors and I'm going to get a couple of bolts for the front.

I would have preferred a long viv to two tall ones, but if as the snakes grow I decided to use it as one big viv in the future, I could easily remove the partition.

How long do I have to leave it before moving the snakes in? The silicone is dry, but I don't know if there is any risk from the fumes. There isn't a strong obvious smell.

I will decide today if I'll seal a slate floor in or if I'll simply weigh the pieces down on top of the heat mats. Sealing them in would mean having to break the whole floor up if the mats should malfunction.

I'd wait until it's completely dry, which should be around 24 hours (what does it say on the tube?), because the smell isn't strong. It's preferable to wait a couple of days just in case.

If it was, you might want to let it dry for a few days. By strong, I mean you smell it when you enter the room. The snakes are going to be a lot closer to the source, so it's best to let it dry until you have to make an effort to smell it.

The aquarium silicone I use has a smell that's just barely noticable, and I've always waited at least a day before moving anything in after applying it. Sometimes longer, if the ventilation isn't that great. The kind of ordinary silicone I've used smells a lot more and I've waited up to a week after using that.

The smell has totally gone so I managed to finish today.

I stuck the heatmats down with insulation tape, with a couple of layers of kitchen foil underneath to reflect the heat upwards.

The slate is only placed onto the base, not sealed in.

Zuki and Zulu were very excited about their new home and are busily exploring every corner. (Probably checking if I have closed all holes or if there's a chance of escape, lol )

Wow, climbing trees? That's new! ( Excuse the fuzziness, but you get the idea...)

Finished!
    (My sons corns are in the left viv for now)

Looks very nice.

Esther, if you don't seal the slate your snakes will get underneath. Once there, they will poo! You'll have to constantly remove it in order to clean up.

I know there is always the risk of the heater failing, and then the floor must be removed in order to replace the heater. It's a risk I take, and so far I've never had a heater fail.
    James.

It looks lovely, Esther
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain