Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Will live conifers cause a problem?

I don't think there's much risk of fire with the method of using flourescant tubes as light and heat because the bulbs only get up to around 35C 8Cm away from the bulbs.
    Will

Juvenile snake

After following this, I've been wondering if I'd be able to use scottish brum in my new enclosure. I doubt there'd be much fire risk as the enclosure is 32 inches tall and I would plan on planting them almost horizontally in stacks to create basking/climbing areas. I've seen this stuff grow nearly upside down, and it is EVERYWHERE here.
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

Juvenile snake

Cytisus scoparius
    Kephren J.
    2.4 T. ordinoides and counting. 2.0 T. s. pickeringii. 1.0.1 T. e. vagrans

Limbs? hmpph, who needs those!?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Hmm... I somehow just now saw this thread!
    Off the top of my head, I don't think a living one would cause the serious issues that the chopped wood/shavings do, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Without knowing exactly how each specific species functions, you don't know where the essential oils (the toxic stuff) are produced. Like, just in stems, or also in leaves? Because if any are produced in leaves (I'd hazard a guess that they are, just since juniper leaves tend to smell strongly) then whenever any of the little leaves shed/died/broke off you'd have the same issue as with chopped wood.
    Also, without knowing the specifics, it's possible that some of those oils are produced ON the leaves themselves or are present in the cuticle wax and could cause irritation if the snake climbed on them.
    None of this would be a problem for a short period, but like someone else said it's different in an enclosed space where the snake is always around it.

I'm working on a plant anatomy assignment right now, so writing about plants doesn't make me feel like I'm slacking!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I would avoid them as the sap seems to be irritating to quite a few people especially those with sensitive skin. As snakes are much more sensitive than us absorbing things easily though their skin I wouldn't risk it.

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Hmm... I somehow just now saw this thread!
    Off the top of my head, I don't think a living one would cause the serious issues that the chopped wood/shavings do, but I personally wouldn't risk it. Without knowing exactly how each specific species functions, you don't know where the essential oils (the toxic stuff) are produced. Like, just in stems, or also in leaves? Because if any are produced in leaves (I'd hazard a guess that they are, just since juniper leaves tend to smell strongly) then whenever any of the little leaves shed/died/broke off you'd have the same issue as with chopped wood.
    Also, without knowing the specifics, it's possible that some of those oils are produced ON the leaves themselves or are present in the cuticle wax and could cause irritation if the snake climbed on them.
    None of this would be a problem for a short period, but like someone else said it's different in an enclosed space where the snake is always around it.

I'm working on a plant anatomy assignment right now, so writing about plants doesn't make me feel like I'm slacking!
    Nice one! Thanks for the heads up

I could probably get the same effect I'm after with some Heather or Olive (they probably do better in the terrarium anyway)
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

I was considering trying some creeping thyme this spring. I have some interesting old specimens in my garden and thymol is a mite repellent.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
    As snakes are much more sensitive than us absorbing things easily though their skin I wouldn't risk it.
    Actually their skin is a much better barrier than our own. It's practically water-tight. It's not the skin contact that matters much here anyway. If there's going to be a problem, it's going to be through the respiratory system.

I look at it this way; why even try it. There's plenty of alternatives to using a potentially harmful plant in an enclosure.

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

While I do not have too much to say in regards to this issue, I will say the following. The majority of the reptiles(skinks, rough green snakes, plains garters) that I have caught in western Manitoba were found in juniper. The foliage provides a very secure cover for these little critters. I would be fairly certain that skin contact with juniper would not be an issue. Respiratory problems could be a issue depending on the situation. Keep in mind, I have seen colubrids kept on pine for years without any apparent effects. Not saying it it is correct to do so though.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I would be worried about the fact that it's in an enclosed space... In the wild, if they do begin to experience respiratory/skin/whatever irritation they can just move somewhere new, but in a tank everything is kind of concentrated in one area and the snake can't get away if it needs to.

idk, I tend to think plants of any sort are too much trouble to deal with in my reptiles' cages. There are plenty of species that are definitely safe that could be put in instead, so I'd just see no reason to take the risk. I think you're probably right about it being a fairly small risk though.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis