Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lonely Garters?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Re: Lonely Garters?

I have noticed that some of my more aggressive females have attitude changes when i put them in groups. I don't know if it's because they feel more secure around other snakes or what. I do know that when i flip boards, rocks, or tin i find snakes in groups most of the time.
    Bluesirtalis

I have two housed together and they are almost always laying together.

Only the Psammophisines (ecspecially the Montpellier snake) and the King Cobra display complex social behaviors.
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Mine seem calmer and more eager to eat with companions.
    I am starting to theorize that butlers get important pheromone and hormone cues during mass brumation. Like women in the same household having synchronized cycles.) Small females in the presence of a larger female eat more and mature more quickly than those housed solo or with other immature companions.
    My sample size is small, but so far behavior is pretty predictable.

Thanks for the info guys! My baby just had its first shed this morning! its growing fast, i think i might get another baby next month during spring break. Hopefully by then i can be able to hold mine long enough to find out the sex to make sure no breeding goes on. i feel like it would appreciate having at least another roomate to keep company.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    Wouldn't say they are social or gregarious. More so tolerant of their own kind. They are not found together in the wild due to social structure but because of favourable habitat and hibernacula.
    Exactly. They don't come together to socialize exactly. Garters are solitary for the most part, except at breeding time. The rest of the time, they couldn't care less about having company. They're not mammals. Socializing and company is a mammilian need/survival tactic. If you happen to find some together when not breeding, it's just because they just so happen to be favoring the same spot for whatever reason. Not because they want to be together.

So I would say NO, they don't "get lonely". I think a lot of people that are observing negative reactions/behavior when alone, or positive behavior when snakes are together, are mistaken as to the reason for the behavior. I don't think it's because they are "lonely" but rather, they feel less secure and vulnerable to attack when they are in the open alone. In the open as part of a group, the individual is less vulnerable to attack so they might feel a bit more secure when other snakes are nearby. It's pretty much the same reason many birds form large flocks in the winter. It's not because they want the company. It's because they're safer against predation. "safety in numbers"

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Mine seem... more eager to eat with companions..
    That's because there is competition for the same available food.

"Third shed In Progress" kimbosaur's Avatar

I have noticed that my garters regularly follow each other around and they frequently share the same hiding spot. I think a part of is that they instinctively follow the other guy to see what goodies he/she might find. I've noticed this at feeding the most. They are very aware of each other and would rather go for the same piece of food even if there is an entire plate in front of their nose. They do seem pretty indifferent when they are apart though.
    kimberly

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    Mine seem calmer and more eager to eat with companions.
    I've also seen the exact opposite thing happen. Some garters stress out when kept with others (nervous, rooting around, nose rubbing, constantly trying to escape, etc.) but calm down when alone. Don't just dismiss such behavior. Social stress can be a killer. Also don't dismiss that kind of behavior when they're kept singly. There's a reason for it and it's important to correct it. Ignoring it isn't good. Snake is insecure/uncomfortable for a reason. They should settle down and seem confortable/at home, not be constantly nose rubbing and trying to escape.

I've even just broke down and released WC snakes for doing that, even if they seem to be doing well otherwise. A stressed snake isn't going to do well in the long run. With some of them, simply keeping them alone solved the stress issue.