Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Banned

Re: Hybrid Photo Thread

Sorry about the image problem. Had a duplicate and I think I deleted the wrong one. So here it is again.

T.s. concinnus X T. marcianus

Quote Originally Posted by ravgez View Post
    sorry to here it passed, actually looks like a pretty snake.did you accidentally breed the two or did you adopt it?
    she was part of a trio I acquired to give a good home to. she was the second to pass away. I have one left and he's doing well. I have taken in hybrids to give them a good life instead of just killing them. These "mutts", when accidently (or intentionally) are produced I don't mind taking them in and housing them. If someone had a herp that ate snakes and they were used for food, that would be ok, but otherwise why just kill them. we don't do that with dogs.... just make sure that they get a nice life and don't let them in the pet trade =) that's my feelings on it. I can house them and let them live a decent llife here. I understand not letting them out in the pet trade to mess up the genetics. but being an animal control officer I see too much euthanasia for no good reason. even though reptiles aren't seen the same way as demesticated animals, I feel they should be given a chance to live.
    also, lets not start a war on here about my opinions, we are all entitled to our own opinions no matter what they are.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I actually inherited 4 of those concinnus x marcianus that richard posted. Marcianus are beautiful... Concinnus are beautiful... but when you combine them... look what you get! A dull looking snake that vaguely resembles an eastern. The babies were never to be bred. But I ended up not having to get that far anyways.... 2 of them passed on their own at random, and the other 2 developed more and more kinks down their backs and also eventually passed. Hybridizing garter snakes is no good. When people create hybrids they have this idealistic view that it is going to take the best parts of both species and combine them. More often than not, it's the opposite. Instead of the best parts, it combined all of the most drab and unimpressive features of both species.

This is the same thing that happened when bee keepers were attempting to engineer the perfect bee, and hybridized the african honeybee and the european honeybee. The goal was to combine the good features of these two bees.... and that is where "killer bees" came from.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

ive had hybrids...im not into them but in reality they dont harm anything, theyve been around just as long as any other captive bred reptile.
    Ive been told by Scott Felzer that they ruin the market...lol really? Have they? To each his own.

I honestly don't think that there is a problem with hybrids. When it becomes a problem is when people end up selling the hybrids. I would say that if they accidentally breed, don't sell them. Keep them within your collection and don't breed them. If you can't keep them, I run an unofficial Thamnophis rescue and I would be more than happy to take them in, and I can assure you that they will not be bred, but they won't be treated any different than any other garter, they will receive the same amount of love and care. Most people will say that they are against hybrids, but honestly, those people, INCLUDING ME, just don't want people to think that hybrids are ok to sell. THEY ARE NOT OK TO SELL!!!
    Last edited by Greg'sGarters; 01-28-2013 at 05:50 PM.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

i thought of transfering the albino gene from parietalis to fitchi...just for fun:P
    Im a diehard purist but i thought it still would be cool

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    I think it's a terrible idea both for the hobby and possibly wild populations. If I were to accidentally create a litter like this, I would surely cull them. I wouldn't want to take the chance that they could escape into an area where wild garters occur and I certainly wouldn't want people to breed them to each other or other pure garters. The only way to ensure that doesn't happen is to cull them or use them as feeders.
    Instead of culling them, you could just keep them and separate the sexes, so that they don't breed. If you can't keep them, I would be more than happy to take them. I run an unofficial garter rescue and I would be more than happy to take them. I would assure that they did not breed.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

I have to disagree. Hybrids should be treated like a contagion and be destroyed as soon as possible.

I agree, I wouldn't condone breeding for hybrids but I wouldn't mind adopting one that needed a home. As long as the person you give them to understands they can't be reproduced or sold. What's the point in killing the poor thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ravgez View Post
    I agree, I wouldn't condone breeding for hybrids but I wouldn't mind adopting one that needed a home. As long as the person you give them to understands they can't be reproduced or sold. What's the point in killing the poor thing?
    Genetic protection.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee