Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Retained Shed

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Retained Shed

where did these snakes come from, and did the seller make the buyer aware that they were getting old snakes with possible issues?
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

They came from somewhere in VA. The seller was up front about the age, but no possible health issues were mentioned.

On the bright side, apparently the female did start eating tonight.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I'd just soak them in warm water for 15 minutes and then run my fingers along them and any retained shed should come off easy.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    I'd just soak them in warm water for 15 minutes and then run my fingers along them and any retained shed should come off easy.
    It's not always that easy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Old and wise snake

Thats for sure Steve. I have been working on one big old girl I have all day today. Shed box, soaking, peeling old skin a little at a time and letting her rest. I have been at it for about 8 hours already.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    It's not always that easy.
    yea... sometimes a retained shed is on there like superglue!!! especially if a previous owner failed to peel it off after so long! I once literally had to peel one of my 8 foot, angry king rat snakes.... scale. by scale. none of the skin would come up, it would break at every scale!!! It took me like 2 days!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Thanks for all the replies. Some really good information here. I didn't give much background on the snakes in my original post. I purchased 2 Blackneck garters through the mail, male and female. I really don't have a lot of history on them. I have had them for 10 days and the female took food tonight for the first time so I don't want to disturb her with much handling tonight but I'll try to get some close ups tomorrow. I'll attach a couple more photo's but I doubt that will be what you need.
    Thanks again for all the info, this site is going to be a great source of info.028.jpgNew Garter1.jpg

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Tomorrow try and get some high resolution close ups of her belly scales. Those were the ones that were the most obviously strange looking, especially as they got further down on her belly.

Also, try and get one from above with her stretched out; from certain angles she looked sort of thin, but in these pics she looks more like a normal weight. That may just have been where she hadn't eaten in awhile though. My oldest snake loses weight very rapidly if he goes without eating.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I was glad to see her take some food tonight. Hopfully the male will eat tomorrow. I'm going to put him in the tub. I think there is too much distraction in their permanent cage.

From the most recent photos I don't see any classic signs of retained shed. Still something to be worried about until you know for sure.
    Nice looking snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee