Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned

Re: Fitchi or Red-sided

CA fitchi:

WA fitchi: (sometimes they even lack red or have very little)

I think I've made my point about it being useless to point out differences between the two since they vary widely even within the subspecies. Still, I think that anyone who has seen enough of both subspecies would be able to tell the difference.

I still say you're getting way confused because you're looking at photos on the web that aren't the correct I.D.

Here's just one example (and there are thousands to be found). Clearly says CA Red Sided/infernalis but the location is Eugene Oregon. This is not a CA red sided. They don't occur in Eugene Oregon or anywhere in the Willamette Valley. It's really a concinnus. http://www.parfaitimage.com/Reptilia...nfernalis.html

So my best bet is that, if I want a fitchi, I should buy one from a reputable breeder, who obviously knows the difference?
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Or do what I did. Know the difference for yourself, and buy some that were incorrectly labeled at a show as concinnus.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Banned

Someone here (can't remember who) recently had a litter or litters of them and they are definitely fitchi. To be honest, if I were to mix them in a container with some of the baby concinnus' I've had, especially the laterally striped ones, it would be tough to tell them apart. But then again, I was looking through some old photos of past litters and some of the high black concinnus babies looked just like some of the pickeringi babies from this year.