Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Did i do the right thing?

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Don't be too hard on yourself. Some groups of babies have problems.
    This^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

You were far more responsible than some people, At least you didn't just go dump them on the ground.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dracorex5 View Post
    I went in so certain theyd live good lives in the wild
    Well, at least now you know. Lesson learned. This goes for any wildlife agency for reasons that Stefan already stated: If you turn them over to them, (any animal that has been in captivity, especially if it's not listed CITES, is not endangered, etc) it is most certain that they will not "live good lives in the wild" or live at all for that matter. They will be destroyed in most cases. I do not believe that they were asking you questions so that they would know where to release them. They had other motives, because they never intended to release them. By law, they can't.

One recent case comes to mind. Someone in Oregon took an albino white-tailed deer fawn from the wild and raised it as a pet. The animal was healthy and tame and had a good life on private property. By law, the wildlife officials couldn't let him keep it, but they also couldn't release it. The animal was confiscated, breaking the person's heart (and the public's) and it was destroyed.

If you're ever in this situation again, consult the forum. We could have told you they would destroy them and I'm sure someone would have made arrangements to take them instead of letting them be culled. There's no need to feel guilty about it. Just learn from it.

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    You were far more responsible than some people, At least you didn't just go dump them on the ground.
    Exactly. Sometimes doing the right thing feels wrong but in all reality if you had done that, (just dumped them anywhere) they probably wouldn't have survived anyway and if they did, they could have done harm to the snakes already living there.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Thumbs down Re: Did i do the right thing?

Hard to say,I just wish you could have returned my email re; purchasing them after you offer all 6 up for sale.
    I am very disappointed . and a little pissed off.

Banned

You are on the other side of an international border though. Not saying it's impossible for you to get them, but it does present a bit of an obstacle.

"Preparing For First shed" Dracorex5's Avatar

....... Now im a little pissed off..... Really pissed off..... Your email was sitting in my spam..... I cant believe it.....
    I've never been very good with cursive

Banned

The border does make the blow a little less painful though.... If i had tried to ship these guys to canada id likely have gotten in a lot of trouble, because the laws arent what i was told they were.... Still, the interest was there and you were willing.... Im so sorry

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dracorex5 View Post
    The border does make the blow a little less painful though.... If i had tried to ship these guys to canada id likely have gotten in a lot of trouble, because the laws arent what i was told they were.... Still, the interest was there and you were willing.... Im so sorry
    I wouldn't recommend shipping anything illegal in the mail... If you ever run into that sort of situation again it might even be worth it to drive over a border and ship from a different post office. Where I'm at if they catch you doing anything reminiscent of gaining a profit off illegal species they come down really hard on you, but if they just catch you with one (almost never happens unless you shove it in their faces...) they typically won't press charges as long as you cooperate.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I didnt know they were a sort of illegal. Garters are considered a vermin species in my city, and state law says "vermin animals can be kept". However, as i was rudely informed today at the nature center, the garter being on the list of state species trumps its vermin status. I would have shipped them unknowing and uninformed, which could have been huge trouble. Im not going to say its best but its still a thought to ponder in the idea of shipping the poor things.

Banned

Even at the time you first mentioned it, I thought that didn't sound right. Garters having "vermin" status I mean. They aren't vermin by any stretch of the imagination. In a state where the species occurs, they are wildlife. Both literally and legally.

Now, a "sewer rat" or "norway rat" which is both a pest, and non-native...

That's vermin.