Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Morph Identification?

If you have any for sale, let me know! I will be the first to pay for one!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Greg, it is illegal to sell anything collected from the wilds of PA.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    And you haven't gotten any of these for me because...? D'OH!
    Hehe... they are rare, few and far between! For every 50 average specimens like the one greg posted in this thread, I will find a smoker! Although I only get out herping (meaning actually go out for the whole day) about 3 or 4 times a season now.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Also... as a side note, in PA your bag limit is ONE. Do not get caught carrying more than one around. Shorthead garter snakes, green snakes, and a few others are completely off limits.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    Also... as a side note, in PA your bag limit is ONE. Do not get caught carrying more than one around. Shorthead garter snakes, green snakes, and a few others are completely off limits.
    And I believe you need a fishing or small game license to take legally harvestable snakes and amphibians. (a looked into it to last summer.)

Greg, it is illegal to sell anything collected from the wilds of PA.
    I know. That's why I don't sell my wild caughts. I shouldn't have said buy, maybe trade?

Yup. Absolutely correct, I have a copy of the rules and regulations for PA. Picked one up at Walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by Selkielass View Post
    And I believe you need a fishing or small game license to take legally harvestable snakes and amphibians. (a looked into it to last summer.)
    Actually in PA, you can collect reptiles on land without a permit, if you catch any in the water, you need a fishing permit. That reminds me, I need to get my new fishing permit for PA this year (I like to walk in the water in waders and catch water snakes and turtles like that). Same for amphibians but you can't catch them at night using artificial light at all. I wonder if I could get in trouble if I lit a torch and used that?
    -Greg

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

JaY Looked for snakes in grandpas back yard under grandpas license while we were visiting last summer. I never found the exemption for looking for snakes on land, but im glad I erred on the side of caution.
    In Michigan we can take 5 unprotected snakes w a license, and I wouldn't want to touch trying to sell or trade any natives, but I have given them as gifts. Its tricky with t. Butlerii, which is legal to own and collect (ina limited numbers.)I here, but fully protected in some adjacent states

Screen Shot 2013-01-20 at 8.51.42 PM.jpg

Look at the first 2 points on there. Shannon's point is the 3rd to last point.
    -Greg

Banned

Didn't really want it to turn into yet another legal discussion but it just seems kind of funny... that goes for almost all states. The selling/exporting/trading part, (not allowed) and yet the hobby is still full of snakes that only occur in those states. Many of us have/own snakes that could only have been taken illegally at some point. .

For example... yes, you might have got that puget (very popular and widespread in the hobby, but in the wild, they ONLY occur where it's illegal to sell/export/trade them) of yours from a breeder in NY perfectly legally but someone had to take them illegally from the wild at some point, or they wouldn't be in the hobby to breed in the first place. That goes for a lot of the species/subspecies we keep. Hardly anyone even thinks about that for some reason.

You might have gotten yours perfectly legally, but they're ALL descended from illegally taken animals. There's no getting around that fact. In essence it makes all of us just as guilty whether you got yours legally or not.

I caught mine legally though. I only caught one that day.
    -Greg