Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Re: Cloudy eyes w/Mouth infection?

Nah, it's just the lip. The labial scales around it are swollen, making his cheeks look puffy. Here's a couple of pictures though.

001.jpg002.jpg
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I still think you need to get the blood flowing but the final decision is yours.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I tried using the needle the other night, but freaked out and stopped when I saw a piece of tissue come loose. I feel a little better about doing it now, so I think I'll give it another try. Maybe later tonight. When I do I'll get my husband to take a picture of the 'after' and put it up.

One question though... I could feel when the needle was touching his teeth when I tried it. Is that something I should avoid, or just part of the procedure?
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Was it a clear piece of scab like material?
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    Nah, it's just the lip. The labial scales around it are swollen, making his cheeks look puffy. Here's a couple of pictures though.

001.jpg002.jpg
    That's looking worse than it was a while back.

Maybe you should get him to a vet and see what they can do.

I didn't even think of it being a scab, but it could have been. I was being really careful, and hadn't even punctured his skin, and then all of a sudden that piece of tissue was just hanging there. It makes more sense that a scab would fall off all of a sudden like that than a piece of his gum...
    I stopped because I didn't want to keep poking around if it was a piece of his gum. It's been several days though, and I haven't seen the loose piece of skin (or whatever it was), so either it was a scab type thing and fell off or it's healed up again.

About to go give it another shot right now...
    Is there any amount of time I should wait after doing this before I feed him again, or just swab his mouth afterward? He's scheduled to eat tomorrow, but he could probably wait another day or two if he had to.
    Lora

I'd say feed as scheduled. Waiting an extra day also wouldn't hurt anything.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

I tried again, and still no blood. I could feel the needle poking the skin, but I have sugar issues and my hands shake pretty badly. Same problem I had the first time. I'm actually in tears right now because I'm so frustrated. I could DEFINITELY tell that the needle was entering his lip, but nothing was bleeding, even when I tried to squeeze it a little. At one point it looked like some clear fluid was coming out, but I couldn't really tell.
    There seemed to be a gummy, scab-like substance over it (not discharge, just the sort of covering you'd expect to see over any exposed area like that..). It came off, but it made it even more difficult to tell what I was doing.

I just worry that I'm tearing up the skin without actually doing any good. I put betadine on it right afterwards.

If I were to take him to an exotics vet, what would they likely do? I know antibiotics would be a life-or-death sort of thing and only a last resort, but would they do something similar to what I've been trying? I thought I'd give it another shot after last time, but my hands just aren't steady enough to do this safely.
    I can get him to what appears to be an experienced reptile vet on Monday...
    Lora

Actually, just checking their website, I could potentially call in an appointment by tomorrow...
    Lora

You can only do what you can do. Seeing some clear liquid come out is a good sign I think.
    Are you treating with a weak tea looking betadine solution?
    Snake seem very small to be given injectable antibiotics.
    It becomes your call if you want to see a Vet. with this. Not a problem.
    I think I will do a video on this procedure and post it on YouTube.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!