Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed"

Re: fairly horrific.

The most bothersome part is the product is completely unnecessary. There are profesionals who will come and remove a snake, and advise on how to stop reoccurances. I know, My father was one. He would go and remove as many snakes as were present for a fairly low house call pricing- less then they are charging for a pack of these traps by far. That is the humane method of snake removal.

I really dislike people sometimes. People who use glue traps in my experience ussually dispose of them with the trapped animal still alive. The makers realize this. thats why the trap is a box, so they don't even have to see the poor snake. These people have made it onto my list.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

That's horrible! And completely unnecessary... Unless you're located on top of a hibernaculum or have a lot of venomous snakes around, snakes are the best and safest pest control out there! We're in a really agricultural area, and even people who HATE snakes refuse to kill rat and corn snakes for that reason.

It ticks me off that they're selling it as 'humane' too, because there are probably a lot of people who know nothing about snakes and think that leaving the container in a field somewhere and pouring vegetable oil on it doesn't harm the snake.

Way to go writing them a letter!
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Quote Originally Posted by d_virginiana View Post
    That's horrible! And completely unnecessary... Unless you're located on top of a hibernaculum or have a lot of venomous snakes around, snakes are the best and safest pest control out there!

Way to go writing them a letter!
    yup on both counts. Rattlers are what my father used to get called to collect most often. he used to milk them for the venom. Had quite a number of lovely specimens. (had to have a permit in California to keep them) But even with rattlers, they are not out there hunting people- they're happy to head the other way when a person is coming. (I know that from experience) If you're on top of a hibernaculum trapping a few isn't gonna help... time to either call them family or move. Again the glue trap is a bad idea.

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

What has our world come to? Its just kind of silly when you think about it. Thats basically the equivalent of superglueing a human to board of plywood to evict them from an area. Pathetic invention. I once saw a version of this trap placed in barns to trap sparrows. It was one of the cruelest things I have ever seen. By all means, trap and remove an invasive species, but if it is going to die let it die with dignity.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

Yea...Like the glue mouse traps I hate those. We had them at work for a little bit when we had a few mice and sometimes you could hear them screaming! It was horrible...
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

We had those at my work, a PET STORE! I gave our manager a stern talk and threatened to create a big deal out of it. Yeah I got a write up... but our mice are now caught in live traps I think we might be using poison to though... you can never win fully.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

I was actually thinking of starting up my own business of removing unwanted non-venomous snakes for people in my area. I wouldn't want to deal with venomous...since I really have no training or experience in handling them. We don't get many venomous snakes around here anyway. I was thinking I could start by word of mouth...many people around here know that I am a hobbyist. Perhaps advertise through my local pet store and vet. Maybe start up as a free thing...but accept tips and then move onto charging a fee if I think I can actually make something of the business. Eventually, I plan to have my own snake rescue...but for now...there are plenty of places I know that I could take the snakes to release them safely in the wild.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

LOL. I'm not so good with Venemous snakes now either. although the first snake I ever held was a copper head. I was 5. Thats when Mom made dad make sure there were pad locks on ALL snake enclosures. I don't remember it but Mom says she had nightmares about it for years.

I would def do venomous snakes as well if I had some training in handling them. We do have copperheads and timber rattlers around here...but I have never seen either and I have lived here my whole life. Now I have seen cottonmouths in the lower part of the state...but I would not deal with them! Most of the time when someone has an unwanted snake in their yard or basement around here...you are dealing with a garter or a rat snake...occasionally a black racer...and they can be aggressive...but I have dealt with them.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

well I have "some training" it was impossible liking reptiles in my family growing up and not getting some training from my father in how to deal with the venomous ones... I'm still not going to go out hunting them, which my father did for fun. (he would catch, measure, weigh, milk and release. and photo any he thought interesting and did not want to keep)