Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Babies!!!

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

Re: Babies!!!

Congrats with the babies, Angela Garters can be full of suprises.
    I agree with Snaky, we also feed our babies small pieces of earthworms and small fish parts. Our experience says that the still moving wormparts stimulate the babies to eat.

Congratulations to you too, Angela!

Never shed

Hi all~

Got one little baby to eat today, not much of a challenge. He quickly ate a little live minnow dropped in a deli cup, then latched onto and gobbled up a piece of salmon held with tongs. I have a feeling he would have eaten much more if I'd let him! The second little one showed no interest what-so-ever, but I don't think he has shed yet, so I'm not too surprised. He is now actively roaming his little tank as I type though, so maybe he's getting hungry. I'll offer again in a couple days. Haven't got any worms yet, need to find a bait shop, but I will soon and will offer these next...

I am wondering if there is a way to visually sex these little guys, or do I need to take them to a professional to have them probed/popped? I am pretty sure they are the same sex, whatever they are. Their tails look pretty long, and there is a slight bump below the vent, does this sound like males? A friend will be taking one, and he doesn't really care about the sex, but I will be giving the other to my sister and would like to get her a mate for it. I've told her she can raise them up into a breeding pair. I would post pictures, but my camera isn't great and these little ones are so quick all pictures are rediculously blurry....

Angela

congrats, i tried to pop one of my babies but gave up pretty quickly the are so small and ive never popped such a tiny one before I didnt want to hurt em, I'll give it another shot in a few days, i gotta get mine all sexed and separated before i can sell them, oh and by the way congrats : )

you can't visually sex them until adult size, and that isn't always foolproof. professional probing/sexing is the best bet. baby males hemipenes aren't developed enough to show. popping is the best way IMO, I have known the tiny probes to break thru the membranes and enter the tail on the baby garters...probably painful for them!

Never shed

Ooh, ok, no probing, even by a professional.... I'll call around sac and see if there is anyone in a reptile shop that will pop them for me. I'm scared I'd hurt them. Don't want to have to stress the little guys by driving too far, but if I can't find anyone nearby the East Bay Vivarium isn't more than an hour away.
    The second baby ate this morning. Just needed to be left alone in a deli cup and like magic the little fish and salmon was gone when i came back...