Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Substrate

Re: Substrate

No! inside a viv. But I have been steered in the right direction by the Gregmonsta
    ATB, Rod

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Has anyone ever tried Diamond Soft Bedding? I'm giving up on aspen because my garters just grab their food and drag it all over the substrate while they are trying to swallow it, ingesting aspen in the process. I've tried putting a small paper plate but that didn't solve the problem that's why I am giving up on aspen and probably getting some type of carefresh. Anyone out there use carefresh bedding? Do garters like it?

I use carefresh. And, you need to either feed them out of that tank or put a paper towel down befor you feed them, they can still ingest carefresh, and it has actually killed one of my snakes. You cant let them keep ingesting the substrate. You can you hemostats to pull it off the food, or pick them up and use your fingers to wipe it off.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

As I have said before I would use Aspen pellets but you can't get them over here. I think there is something similar that is derived from Hemp and is used with Tortoises? Will have a look and see if I can find some.
    ATB, Rod

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Didymus20X6's Avatar

I use a combination of natural peat moss and crushed clay.

The clay gives it substance, and the peat moss is good at retaining moisture. The combination of the two makes a very natural-like soil.

I also throw in leftover worm dirt, too, once it's dried out.

I recommend baking the peat moss in the oven before mixing though, to kill off any unwanted organisms.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but actually, from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey stuff.

Chantel is right...I use carefresh in my feed tanks...but I always put papertowels or a dishtowel down. Try taking all hides, plants etc. out of the tank and then covering all of the substrate with the papertowels or a large dishtowel....so that you can't see any of the substrate. You can use a separate tank for this purpose if you like. Of course, if you use a separate tank...you really don't need substrate...just put paper towels down. The only reason I have substrate in my feed tanks is because I use them for other purposes. Anyway...put the feeding dish down in the middle of the paper towels or dish towel...that way, if the snake drags the food off the dish, he is going to drag it over onto the paper towel....if you have all of the substrate covered, he shouldn't be able to get to any substrate unless he goes under the paper towels. I often put a couple of hides on top of the paper towels...so that snakes that have a tendency to want to take their food to hide when they eat can take it under the hide. Try this...because simply putting down carefresh won't solve your problem, ingesting carefresh can also cause impaction as Chantel mentioned.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

If a snake ingests some substrate can they pass it through their system? and if not how long does it take for the impaction to kill them?

Sometimes they will pass small pieces...but it's one of those things that you never know. Larger pieces are harder to pass...and of course sharper types of substrate like aspen, can cause internal damage. Sometimes the blockage doesn't kill them...sometimes it does. Signs of a blockage include the snake not defecating normally, vomiting, swelling around the lower abdominal region and vent area, blood in feces, refusal to eat. If you suspect a blockage, the best thing to do is to get the snake to a herp vet immediately. Sometimes they can flush the blockage out. If there is internal damage it can be irreversible sometimes though. If you don't have a herp/reptile vet near you...we can help you do some things to try to get the snake to pass the blockage. But the best thing is to do everything to prevent ingestion in the first place. It does happen sometimes though, even when you take every measure to prevent it. My snakes have occasionally ingested small pieces of substrate and luckily had no problems. I didn't get much sleep..and had to watch for normal pooping for a couple of days...but everything turned out fine. Do you suspect your snake ingested some substrate?
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Thanks a lot Marnie your post was very helpful and I will keep a close eye on my garters to see if they have any swelling or irregular feces and I will definitely start moving them to a different enclosure when I feed them.

Glad I could help. If you notice anything that concerns you, let us know. Many times if they just got a little piece of substrate on the food, they can pass it through. They often manage to get the substrate off before eating it. If you didn't see them eat any big pieces, I wouldn't worry too much. Just make sure you see them pooping normally in the next couple of days and check the vent area...and let us know if you see anything irregular. Let us know how moving them to feed goes too.
    Marnie