Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Garter not eating

Okaaaay, I dug up an earthworm and gave it a wash. Offered it with forceps and he came over quite willingly and seemed interested, but he just doesn't seem hungry. Perhaps it's due to breeding season. He's perky enough, but just doesn't seem to be bothered about the food. I'll give it another few days and try again with a scented pinkie. It wouldn't bother me to buy feeder guppies, but nobody will sell them if you asked for them. I'll just have to try a variety of foods and see how it goes. I'd be worried if he was just lying coiled up, but he's whizzing around his viv and looking for ways out at the moment.

Smells Like Teen Spirit Invisible Snake's Avatar

Alright. Keep us updated on his progress.

Do they sell them as "feeder guppies?" I mean is that what they are called? If so, I would think they would know what they are intended for... Either way, I'm sure if you go buy some and don't refer to them as "feeder guppies," and don't tell them what they are for, you should be ok. Just a thought
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

He might just be in a non-food mode for awhile.
    If he's active, drinking, pooping and not losing weight I wouldn't get to worried at this point.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProXimuS View Post
    Do they sell them as "feeder guppies?" I mean is that what they are called? If so, I would think they would know what they are intended for... Either way, I'm sure if you go buy some and don't refer to them as "feeder guppies," and don't tell them what they are for, you should be ok. Just a thought
    As far as I know, it is illegal to use any live feeders in the UK. Therefore, it is unlikely that a shop would sell something under the title of a feeder.

One of my males is currently looking for love. He has gone off of food as well. It could be a breeding urge that has sent your snake off food.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    As far as I know, it is illegal to use any live feeders in the UK. Therefore, it is unlikely that a shop would sell something under the title of a feeder.

One of my males is currently looking for love. He has gone off of food as well. It could be a breeding urge that has sent your snake off food.
    As I said, live feeders are a grey area rather than being outright illegal. Shops don't sell them as 'feeders' but if you get to the point where they are the only option you just don't say what you intend to do with the guppies after you've put them in your aquarium. I've not done it, but in my experience of buying fish the aquatic shop (if they ask any questions) would probably be more concerned that I have a Siamese Fighting Fish in the tank which isn't compatible with guppies.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

With any of my reptiles, I don't really start worrying about them not eating unless they start looking like they're getting thin.

WOW. I can't imagine not being able to pick up live prey if I needed it. Does that extend to all live prey, like feeder insects? Or just fish and mammals? Just curious.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Hi, I'm New Here!

No, they do sell insects and mealworms as live food, but nothing else as far as I know. I guess some people probably do breed rodents and guppies at home to feed, but you can't go into a store and tell them you want mice as feeders.

I did try Ozzie with some live crickets before, but he was terrified and hid from them.

I have had a couple of my snakes go off food for a couple of months. Sometimes they just go through periods like that. Like others said, unless he gets really skinny or starts to act sick, I wouldn't worry too much yet.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Do not, ever, ever feed a garter snake meal worms, crickets or any other kind of insect. They do not eat them and they cannot digest them. If you need to know what sort of food they eat, please read the caresheet.
    Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)