Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Aquarists, UNITE!!!

I have an oscar also! He is one year old as of last month... I got him when he was this big ---------------

and as of now he is 8 inches long! his names Racso..... can you guess why?!

two years ago, I caught a 14 inch Oscar while fishing..............

and right after that, I caught the hugest fantail goldfish I have ever seen. That thing must have weighed 4 or 5 pounds!!!

I do enjoy fishkeeping, I sold all my other chichlids besides rocso and my managuensis (sp?)... I also have a footlong common pleco and two channel cats, one is amel.

I am actually the person in charge of the fish care at my store. And I was just informed that the tanks are the cleanest in the company
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

I forgot, I also have my feeder minnow tank. But I don't count those as they change all the time!

So would a 55 be adequate for an oscar?? I always thought they needed bigger... and that's why I never got one.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lori P View Post
    I forgot, I also have my feeder minnow tank. But I don't count those as they change all the time!

So would a 55 be adequate for an oscar?? I always thought they needed bigger... and that's why I never got one.
    40 is the bare minimum I've been told/read. 55 is the standard for an oscar and some smaller companions for cleanup.

+Shannon- I've always wanted a Manganese cichlid (AKA Jaguar lol.)
    I have 3 AAA quality pearlscale fantails (one's more of a veiltail) in a 15 gallon in my room too. I love fancy goldies.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    40 is the bare minimum I've been told/read. 55 is the standard for an oscar and some smaller companions for cleanup.

+Shannon- I've always wanted a Manganese cichlid (AKA Jaguar lol.)
    I have 3 AAA quality pearlscale fantails (one's more of a veiltail) in a 15 gallon in my room too. I love fancy goldies.
    lol, pearlscales!!! how big are they? you're gonna have to up your tank size eventually for those guys :P I love pearscales because they look like big round golfballs, I always get asked "oh what is wrong with them"

my manganese accidentally came in with a shipment of oscars so I got to take him home for a dollar he was an itty bitty thing but now hes about half the size of the oscar... a slow grower in comparison. I actually always wanted one ever since I met a HUGE one at a fish specialty store... I loved him!!!! And the lady came over to him and was like awwwe do you want a cookie? and hands him a feeder... haha
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    lol, pearlscales!!! how big are they? you're gonna have to up your tank size eventually for those guys :P I love pearscales because they look like big round golfballs, I always get asked "oh what is wrong with them"

my manganese accidentally came in with a shipment of oscars so I got to take him home for a dollar he was an itty bitty thing but now hes about half the size of the oscar... a slow grower in comparison. I actually always wanted one ever since I met a HUGE one at a fish specialty store... I loved him!!!! And the lady came over to him and was like awwwe do you want a cookie? and hands him a feeder... haha
    All 3 of them are pretty much full-grown, aside from the smallest one. I really duked out their tank; double-barelled sponge filter in the corner and a strip air stone in the middle; I've been doing water changes every Saturday and the nitrite/nitrate/ammonia has stayed at zero, so every thing's going great I assume. I'll have to get pics soon; they are so adorable when they wobble around. lol
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

dear god.... full grown?! haha they are worth a good bit of money kyle. The aquarium specialty store out here (bout 40 minutes away from me) gets like $80 for their big pearlscales... each are about the size of a softball

as long as your levels are fine, then of course you dont have to worry, but sheesh I could not put up with so many water changes on top of my 100 snakes

Well... They were $120 imported. x.x
    Which I guess is a good deal. I lurv them to pieces. They get salmon, sliced peas, green beans, blood worms, blackworms, Omega One goldfish flakes, freeze dried brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, fruit flies, fruit fly larvae, romaine lettuce, oh the list goes on. XD
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

hey, at least not everyone out there keeps poor goldfish in an unfiltered tiny bowl

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    hey, at least not everyone out there keeps poor goldfish in an unfiltered tiny bowl
    #1 pet peeve right there.

I can't even imagine how they'd survive!
    The moment I noticed my babies the least bit near the surface I added the strip air stone to their tank.
    0.1 Storeria dekayi

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    I can't even imagine how they'd survive!
    I suppose they don't.