Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: First breedings of 2013

Mine will be coming out on February 1st (date still undecided). I can't wait to see what the het pied does with the melanistic! Wouldn't that be crazy if the babies were melanistic pieds?
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Subadult snake i_heart_sneakie_snakes's Avatar

Definitely cool pairings. I can't wait to see the cute little babies!!!
    0.2.4 T.s. Fitchi - Flickabee and Salem
    0.1 T.s. Sirtalis - Failte

1.1 T.e.Vagrans - Lumiere and Pumpkin
    T.s. Pickeringii- Little Boy Blue

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Wouldn't that be crazy if the babies were melanistic pieds?
    Both genes are a simple recessive. The babies will all be normal 100% het melanistic, 50% het pied (assuming you were dealing with a 100% het pied)

So basically all the snakes will carry the gene for melanism while only half with carry it for pied. I applaud you for trying to work with poss hets. I couldn't force myself to do it having to raise up every single scrub cause there is no way to tell what you are dealing with lol.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if the melanistic pieds are possible or if the melanistic gene will completely drown out the pied. In ball pythons, what is known as the panda pied (black with pied) is actually the super form of a co-dominant trait. I can't think of a species of any reptile where I have seen a true "melanistic pied" (this is also assuming that the melanism is actually melanistic and not some other form of anery)
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

Quote Originally Posted by twgrosmick View Post
    Both genes are a simple recessive. The babies will all be normal 100% het melanistic, 50% het pied (assuming you were dealing with a 100% het pied)

So basically all the snakes will carry the gene for melanism while only half with carry it for pied. I applaud you for trying to work with poss hets. I couldn't force myself to do it having to raise up every single scrub cause there is no way to tell what you are dealing with lol.

On a side note, it will be interesting to see if the melanistic pieds are possible or if the melanistic gene will completely drown out the pied. In ball pythons, what is known as the panda pied (black with pied) is actually the super form of a co-dominant trait. I can't think of a species of any reptile where I have seen a true "melanistic pied" (this is also assuming that the melanism is actually melanistic and not some other form of anery)
    Oh yeah I knew that both were recessive, that's why I said "Wouldn't that be crazy" lol. That would be cool though.
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Sounds like you could end up with some very cool combos in a few generations. Good luck, I hope you get interesting results early!

Old and wise snake

The male is a 100% het pied but as of now as far as I know this is still an unproven trait.

Banned

So basically all the snakes will carry the gene for melanism while only half with carry it for pied.
    Not really.

"Second (pairing) is a female melanistic eastern that I paired with a het pied"

All offspring would be "100% het melanistic". But, even if the pied was definitely a het(100% het), all babies would have only a 50% chance of also being het pied. They could ALL be het, or none. It's just that the odds would be 50%. So, babies from this pair would be normal looking, but they would all be "100% het melanistic, 50% het pied". The 50% and 100% doesn't refer to how many of them are het. It only indicates the chances than any one of them is het for melanistic and pied, respectively.

Since you know that one parent is melanistic, the odds of the babies being het for that trait is 100%. But even IF the other parent is a confirmed het, any one of the babies would still only have a 50% chance of being het for pied. They all could be, just one or two, half, or none of them. It's not that half would be het for pied. It's that they would have a 50% chance of being het.

It was my understanding that the trait has been proven to be genetic, and recessive if it's from the same line as Scott's.

Quote Originally Posted by ConcinnusMan View Post
    Not really.

"Second (pairing) is a female melanistic eastern that I paired with a het pied"

All offspring would be "100% het melanistic". But, even if the pied was definitely a het(100% het), all babies would have only a 50% chance of also being het pied. They could ALL be het, or none. It's just that the odds would be 50%. So, babies from this pair would be normal looking, but they would all be "100% het melanistic, 50% het pied". The 50% and 100% doesn't refer to how many of them are het. It only indicates the chances than any one of them is het for melanistic and pied, respectively.

Since you know that one parent is melanistic, the odds of the babies being het for that trait is 100%. But even IF the other parent is a confirmed het, any one of the babies would still only have a 50% chance of being het for pied. They all could be, just one or two, half, or none of them. It's not that half would be het for pied. It's that they would have a 50% chance of being het.

It was my understanding that the trait has been proven to be genetic, and recessive if it's from the same line as Scott's.
    Agreed Richard but for simplicity sake about half will carry the gene and half won't. Scott believes the pied to be recessive but no pieds have been produced from het to het breedings as of now.
    Tyler
    www.checkeredgarter.com

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Mine will be coming out on February 1st (date still undecided)
    I'm thinking around the same time for my first ones out.

It was my understanding that the good looking pied in the photo with the dollar bill (the one with lots of white) produced normal looking offspring and died.

Scott sounds awfully sure that he will have pieds for sale. Not sure what that means. It's a bit of mystery to me. Don't know if he has offspring from that high white one and has proven they produce pieds, or if his line is from the crappy looking pied on his website, or what. I'm not sure how he comes to the conclusion that it is recessive, AND is sure he will have them available if none have been produced from hets. Doesn't make any sense to me. He seems to indicate that he's proven it to be recessive. You can't do that unless you produce pieds from hets.

Not sure what he's breeding. The babies from that high-white one were perfectly normal and still unproven to be a genetic trait. Those normal babies went for high dollar in spite of it not being a proven genetic trait.

Then I see a pied on his website with barely any white at all and he says he's going to have pieds. How can he know if it hasn't been proven out yet? Or is this just going to be another batch of normals that go for $600 unproven? I thought that already happened. I thought this was going to be the year for CB pieds, not normals that "might be" hets. So, it's proven or it isn't. Which is it?

Scott believes the pied to be recessive but no pieds have been produced from het to het breedings as of now.
    Well why is that? What do you mean "believes" ? Based on what? The fact that the first gen offspring look perfectly normal?

Just trying to understand what's going on. Sounds fishy.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Richard, i think the reason why all the breeders who purchased the babies from this high white female pied are confident that they will produce pieds is because of how high white the female was and they feel something that dramtic should be recessive since it has already been proven in other snakes. The reason scott is expecting some this year is because he is one of a few that had both males and females survive to adults so if it is recessive and he is breeding both 100% het male and 100% het females to each other he should produce some pieds this year and prove the pieds out. At least this is what he is hoping for and i can't wait to see some of the babies.
    Bluesirtalis