Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Never shed

Re: Albino Vagrans update

"There are no data to indicate that snake parasites or diseases regulate wild populations. In captive individuals, fungal infections and respiratory problems can be substantial (Narcisse den individuals have been observed with fungal infections). A parasitic fluke often causes wild snakes to lose the ends of their tails and may be responsible for breeding failures. Its incidence varies considerably from year to year and appears related to the fall condition of snakes (poor condition is associated with high fluke infestations)."

It's also cited in the academic literature, but I don't have access to the online journals.

http://www.naturenorth.com/spring/creature/garter/Fgarter.html

We ran into this a lot with a field survey of the only documented population of black racers in Maine. Many of the older animals were also missing their tail tips. Garter and Water snakes are notorious for high numbers of flukes. There is no retained shed on the tail of the albino.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

What steve is trying to say is that most of the time when the snake is missing it's tail tip it is due to a retained shed. Also in the wild it could be caused by injury, frost bite, fungal infections, or lots of other unpredictable things, but in this case i don't think it would be from flukes. If the snake had a fluke at it's tail tip you would see a lump.
    Quote Originally Posted by joshua View Post
    "there are no data to indicate that snake parasites or diseases regulate wild populations. In captive individuals, fungal infections and respiratory problems can be substantial (narcisse den individuals have been observed with fungal infections). A parasitic fluke often causes wild snakes to lose the ends of their tails and may be responsible for breeding failures. Its incidence varies considerably from year to year and appears related to the fall condition of snakes (poor condition is associated with high fluke infestations)."

it's also cited in the academic literature, but i don't have access to the online journals.

http://www.naturenorth.com/spring/creature/garter/fgarter.html

we ran into this a lot with a field survey of the only documented population of black racers in maine. Many of the older animals were also missing their tail tips. Garter and water snakes are notorious for high numbers of flukes. There is no retained shed on the tail of the albino.
    Bluesirtalis

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I have seen many wild caught garters (mostly concinnus at shows) with this on their tails. I don't know what it is, but I can tell you it isn't retained shed, or old wounds. It is some sort of infection, whether fungal or bacterial, I don't know, but it causes red, tender areas, the slight waviness, swelling, and sometimes small open sores. It is always on the tip of the tail.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Never shed

If it looks like it's getting worse I'll clip it and send it out, but for now I don't think it is a problem. If it comes to that, I'll share whatever we find out. Swabs, cultures, fecals and bloodwork are all good currently. Worth noting, this upcoming shed will be his first in captivity. Although he ate well on worms and then pink mice last summer, he never went into shed. Same for the normal female that was found with him.

That seems a long time to go without a shed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Never shed

I agree, I found it a bit odd as well. They wintered well, and are voracious now, so hopefully things pick up as they continue to adapt to the captive lifestyle.

I don't think the lack of a shed is a problem. My young olive python went 8 months without a shed even though in that time she tripled in size and girth.
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Never shed

I've had diamond pythons seemingly skip shed cycles as well. I don't lose sleep over it.

I never worry about shedding, or lack of shedding. The only time it is cause for alarm, is when the animal begins shedding very rapidly, such as every 2 weeks or so.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Jeff B's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    Hey y'all, just wanted to share a post-brumation update of my albino boy. He's in shed, but it's not very often that I find him staying still for a photo op.

Gorgeous snake