Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building trust

Re: Building trust

I was watching videos of a guy who was building trust with his monitor lizard by dangling food above his hand so that the lizard would have to walk onto his hand to get the food. Nile Monitor Lizard 50 Day update ( trust building).mp4 - YouTube
    ( No need for the welding gloves with little Garry though)
    Will

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    3 week is no time at all.
    New snakes get handled daily sometimes. The hemostats really help with the little ones.
    My groups ignore the food dish in front of them and come out to me instead. Spoiled rotten snakes.
    I have a couple that will slither through a bowl of food to take the food I have in the tongs, or actually even if I have no food in the tongs. They definitely associate the tongs with food, I'm not sure that they associate my hand with the tongs when I don't have them.
    If you want a snake that trusts you and wants to be handled you will only get there by handling. I have a couple that are shy and we're very flighty when I got them, but they've become a lot better over time. I think you definitely lay a foundation in the early days, but that doesn't mean an older snakes can't change. My most trusting, best handler is a wild caught parietalis, and whilst some of her temperament could be natural I suspect that most of it comes from being in a shop and handled by all and sundry, and then I like to think some of it is down to learning to trust me.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

It took "Enforcer" 3 years to trust me. It was baby steps for her and it was done all on her schedule.
    Now we are buddies. She still has a rough side but I just give it right back and we are fine.
    She's one of my favorite snakes.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I handle the snakes every day, unless it is obvious that it is very stressful for them, then I handle every other day. You also can put your hand in the enclosure and just let it sit there, and have the snake come to you to investigate. I offer a snack after handle every couple times.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I handled him and but moved my hand to quickly and he leaped out of my hand but luckily i caught him mid air.He showed his gratitude by spraying with his special sauce.NICE.
    Will

Nice going Garry.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Don't encourage him Steve...
    Will

I always side with the snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I always side with the snake.
    lol that's awesome.
    I've been picking mine up at least once a day. It just takes time. With all my various species some are docile from the beginning, whereas others skitter away, and of course there's always the biters (carpet python lol) but even she took about a year and no long does anything but try to get away. If they once show they are calm, i'll hold them until they're fussy, then they go back in.
    As for my new little baby garters, i'll hold one in the palm of my hand, and cover with the other hand, then peek at them. As long as they feel sheltered they do well.
    Melissa
    31 snakes, 14 species. Various other critters, 3 emperor scorpions, 1 cave spider, 19 tarantulas, 1 gecko, 2 dogs, 1 frogs, 1 rat. 1 pigeon, tons of fish.

He seems more confident around me now and doesn't go and hide when i stick my hand in the enclosure like he used to do.At feeding time he is improving,he doesn't mind eating out in the open anymore and when i feed him in his hide he doesn't drag the food away but just sits there then flicks his tongue at me and gives the "come on pink monkey thing more food chop chop" look.
    Will