Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Question about scars and scales

Well, it's a wonderful thing that you did taking her in, nursing her back to health, and giving her a loving home. So it sounds like everything is all healed up now...no signs of infection or anything at this point? I'm afraid she will always have scars and probably some missing scales too. Keep an eye on that tail...she could lose part of it at some point. If it starts to look dark or the skin looks dead...let us know. In fact, if you could show a close up pic of the tail...that would be good.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by InsanePirateDragon View Post
    Okay here's one of the bigger scars thats about mid body I believe and I figured it was caused by a claw.

I don't see a scar at all in that photo, just a missing scale or two.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Subadult snake InsanePirateDragon's Avatar

I know I was worried about the tail tip and it retained shed twice after the attack and soaking took care of it. Once everything healed she's hadn't had much trouble with it.

But here it is,

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

That looks like a tail tip that needs checking carefully after every shed. At least you know that it can be a problem.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Yes...I think that the fact that you are aware and keep a close eye on it greatly minimizes the chance that she will have additional problems with it. Just continue to monitor it after each shed for any retained skin.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Looks like a viable tail. It's got a slight catch in its get-along (true medical term) but should be okay.
    As stated just watch to make sure the future sheds are complete.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

All the Wild caught Butlers I have caught have been badly scarred by cats, and I've seen no sign of scale regrowth on these wounds. On the plus side tho, the scars don't seem to cause any difficulty in shedding so far.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Very interested in the tail tip photo. I had a ribbon snake, Eddy, who had suffered a broken tail at some point in his life before I got him as a youngster. He never had any problems with it at all, he shed perfectly every single time. He lived until he was 17. I had him for 16 years. I always kept an eye on it of course, but he was completely untroubled by it, even when it was touched. I took Eddy to the vet to be checked when I bought him, and he said that it was best to leave well alone as by then the break had long since healed and it was clearly not causing Eddy any distress.

Wow...17 years is an extremely long life for a garter or ribbon snake. Isn't that some sort of record?
    Marnie

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I think there was someone on here (was it Richard?) who had a couple of concinnus live to be 18-20... At least I think I'm remembering that correctly. I think anything in the 12+ age range is considered pretty old.

Garters/ribbons and water snakes are seriously some of the toughest animals I've ever seen. Just keeping tabs on some of the wild ones I encounter a lot, I've seen them bounce back from some really crazy looking injuries (like a partly smashed jaw).
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis