Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Supplies for complete tank.

I have my baby albino checkered in a 20 gallon but it has a slide lock lid...that's why I want to look at your lid. A 20 gal is not too big for a baby...size is not the concern...escape and things the baby can get trapped under or hurt on would be the concern. Garters are masters of escape and babies are even better at it. They can get wet and then inch up the glass and find a way to wedge under gaps in the lid and get out, or worse, hurt or kill themselves getting trapped or smushed in a failed attempt. Wire lids have little holes on the corners and they don't lock down...but there are things you can do to rig it. If you have the money I can tell you of a very safe terrarium with a lock lid that you can buy at a pet store that will guarantee no escape for babies...or you could use a plastic tub...some people do that for babies...or we can work on rigging the lid of the tank on Craig's list.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Preparing For Third shed"

Well I think the cheapest way to do it will be rigging the tank that I get off craigslist if the wire mesh is either to big or not escape proof I will buy another top for it with clamps to ensure it will not escape. But the thing is I rather get the tank because im thinking of getting 2 snakes actually ( females so I know they wont get gravid ) and they would live well in a 20 gal right. so why not.
    John !
    " A snake is only as calm as its handler "

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Okay...but I would start a new thread and ask about enclosures for babies. I don't think clamps are going to necessarily do the trick...like I said there are holes in the corners that the snake can get out of in the standard wire lids and the snake can also slide itself up under the rims of the lid. This is why a lot of people use plastic tubs for babies. I put my baby in my 20 gallon with the slide lock lid for this very reason...he was in a 10 gallon with clamps but it was not secure enough. The clamps don't secure all of the little places the babies can get out of...with a bigger snake it isn't so much of a problem. Someone else may be able to tell you how to secure the lid for a baby...or they may just tell you to get a plastic tub...which is really cheap.
    Marnie
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Quote Originally Posted by GarterGuy17 View Post
    The thing is I can't get such a big tank yet because my snake is going to be a baby which is why I don't want to get such a big tank I actually think that 20 gal is way to big for a baby or 2 , Can Anyone tell me if a 20 gal is to small for a baby ?
    oh you'll be fine with a 20 for a baby, for a while actually - I was just thinking down the road, I don't know how far along that would be (and I had no idea you'd have a baby!) - I housed one garter that was about 20 inches in a 10 for two months. Probably not the best, but now he/she (not sure yet) is in a 30 (and about 24-25 inches now to boot).

But the thing is I was looking through the threads and one of the members said that a 30 gal is the same as a 20 gal just taller so would this really matter ?
    John !

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Last edited by GarterGuy17; 01-01-2012 at 02:17 AM.
    John !

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

But the thing is I was looking through the threads and one of the members said that a 30 gal is the same as a 20 gal just taller so would this really matter ?
    Well, aquariums and terrariums generally come in two flavors: long and tall. I didn't know this when I bought my 30, and after cleaning it for a while something seemed, I don't know - a bit out of place. That's when I realized that I had a 30 tall, not 30 long. It was strange because it wasn't much wider than the 10, I expected it to be longer, but I had to be in its presence for a while before I noticed it.

That being said, I think it still matters for a snake because if you didn't get a tank, you'd get a vivarium or a cage, and generally those are square and vertical.

Now that I've had it a month I have been playing with a lot of different ideas and you can do a lot of things with that vertical space, it doesn't go to waste, but I think Glyph is kind of tired of me rearranging her furniture every other week.
    Last edited by angrygamer; 01-01-2012 at 02:22 AM.

I guess...you will use the tank at some point...see what the other members have to say about the enclosure for the baby...you may be able to rig the lid or you may want to keep the baby in a plastic tub until it gets bigger...but you can use the tank at some point. I don't know if I would put a baby in a 40 gal. If other members think you can rig the lid to be safe enough for a baby...I would stick with a 20 gallon...if you are going to use a plastic tub for the baby and use the tank for an adult snake or more than one snake, I guess you can get as big as you want.
    Marnie

Well this guy is selling a 30 gallon with screen top and clamps plus free hides,bowls,and lamp. I might get this actually and its free delivery since he is close by. Also Steve just told me a way to rig the tank to make it escape proof. Should I get it even if its 30 high ?
    John !

0.1 - T.s.parietalis

Well this guy is selling a 30 gallon with screen top and clamps plus free hides,bowls,and lamp. I might get this actually and its free delivery since he is close by. Also Steve just told me a way to rig the tank to make it escape proof. Should I get it even if its 30 high ?
    That's what I have, but the real bonus is the screen top and the lamp. I'd make sure the screen top is steel, not nylon or fabric because you'll proly end up shining the light through the screen and it will get hot. Also, I'd make sure the lamp is at least 100 watts, but that's second to the screen, these are just some things that I have have encountered that you might think about.

I am going to fabricate a screen next week, I am still using the fish tank lid with a screen, I've priced screens out and I can't justify spending half the cost of the tank on a lid.

As far as it being a tall, that's what I ended up with so I have to be creative...I am working on ideas, you just have to be a bit conservative with your floor space...but get other opinions too.