Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Another one? Bigger and mild injuries....

The nicks were on the underside of it's tail, you can just barely see them in one of the photos. There is no exposed flesh so I did not put anything on them before had y daughter let the bigger one go.

Quote Originally Posted by doomkitty View Post
    The nicks were on the underside of it's tail, you can just barely see them in one of the photos. There is no exposed flesh so I did not put anything on them before had y daughter let the bigger one go.
    Nice job.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Banned

Sorry, I missed that. Those are old healed injuries. Looks like a cat got a hold of it. This time of year, they are going back to their overwintering grounds and you must be adjacent to it or else they are hibernating in/under your building. That's the reason youre suddenly encountering so many. That can make it seem like a population is thriving when in reality it could in rapid steep decline. Populations that keep encountering people, cats, lawn mowers, etc. rarely last long. I bet in a few years they'll be all but gone unless there's a lot of undeveloped land right around you.

Now, if you're intent on keeping a snake or two I don't see a problem with trying 2-3 at once. That way you pick one or two of the best adapted ones. In other words, the ones that eat first and consistent. Then you can release any that don't do well. They are individuals. Some do quite fine and will eat and be tame, some don't. If youre going to keep one, it's best if it's one that doesn't give you any trouble as far as eating and calming down goes.

Once you get one like that and it's been doing well for a few months and you earn it's trust, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how sweet and intelligent they can be. My miss piggy (RIP) was a real sweetheart from the moment I found her. She was tame from the get-go. I picked her up and she didn't fuss one bit.