Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Old and wise snake charles parenteau's Avatar

Re: Cold tolarance difference

I hibernate MY eastern garter snake from Quebec AT 4 celcius ,I think its cold enough for Parietalis ,they tolarate the cold more than eastern.

I just take a look on all my adult eastern in the fridge at exactly 4 celcius ,I have 2 thermometer one with mercury another digital ,just to be sure and all 5 adult are full submerge in water...
    I change the water bowl and put cold water from my fridge and when I took them into the new water bowl ,no move at all they are all in deep sleep.I will end the hibernation in february ...

ANd Steve I use aspen wood as beeding buy at Walmart,Its the best stuff Ive ever found for hibernation,I don't have any problem with humidity...and it's very easy to clean,usually I use aspen beeding for my large boa constrictor,but for hibernate my garter its awesome!!!

There's an article somewhere mentioning T. marcianus getting neurological damage at temperatures that could be considered normal brumation temperatures for northern T. sirtalis. I'll see if I remember to look it up at some point.

Banned

I might have mentioned it before but I lost a few very young T.s. concinnus during, or coming out of brumation. I was a bit tough on them on purpose, bringing them down to around 40 F when they were only 4 months old. The goal was to weed out the weaklings because they were destined for release. With that goal in mind, I also didn't mess with non-feeders. I just fed the strongest, largest, and really just let the weaker one's die. I know it sounds barbaric but keep in mind what the goal was. To release very fit, strong babies in the spring. I only bred them for the experience.

Anyway, my point is, some of those babies had "seizures" during, or coming out of brumation. Most of those that survived brumation, but seized coming out, didn't make it. It's apparent to me that the deaths were cause by neurological complications. There was obvious twitching, curling, etc. Good news is, those deaths were few when compared to to the number of young that made it and thrived.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 01-21-2010 at 05:00 AM.

"Third shed In Progress"

This is my first hibernation experience, which I'm trying to induce breeding from my Pugets Sounds Garters. I have been taking them off food for about a month now, and removed the under tank heater at the same time. Last year they did not hibernate and I did not have a breeding response from them either. I put them in the mini fridge on the lowest setting which was stable at 47 degrees. The they have been in there for about 4 hours, and when I looked in there it was 54 degree's and the female has shed and crapped all over the inside... does anyone else snake respond in this manner?

Quote Originally Posted by bkhuff1s View Post
    This is my first hibernation experience, which I'm trying to induce breeding from my Pugets Sounds Garters. I have been taking them off food for about a month now, and removed the under tank heater at the same time. Last year they did not hibernate and I did not have a breeding response from them either. I put them in the mini fridge on the lowest setting which was stable at 47 degrees. The they have been in there for about 4 hours, and when I looked in there it was 54 degree's and the female has shed and crapped all over the inside... does anyone else snake respond in this manner?
    I think the whole shed and poop thing was a matter of timing and not a response to brumation. On the good side you know that snake should be cleaned out and its gut ready for brumation.
    Best of luck. Keep us informed.
    Last edited by guidofatherof5; 01-22-2010 at 10:02 PM. Reason: additional comment
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"Third shed In Progress"

Well I guess I'm just doing the first time freak out. Just concerned for my snakes that's all

Quote Originally Posted by bkhuff1s View Post
    Well I guess I'm just doing the first time freak out. Just concerned for my snakes that's all
    Don't worry about it. I still worry about mine in the fridge.
    They're a lot tougher than we give them credit for.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I am always checking my snakes and their brumation set-up, and your anxiousness is normal to me
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain