Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: gravid? wild caught.

Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe152 View Post
    could it be an impaction and old food stuck. maybe thats why it has not ate in 2 weeks?

I'm concerned with the way larger area looks. Doesn't look like a normal gravid female to me. I'd love to see a photo with the snake stretched out, please.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by in.service22 View Post
    she hasn't eaten yet and had him/her for 2 weeks now but has used the restroom once
    Quote Originally Posted by jwolfe152 View Post
    could it be an impaction and old food stuck. maybe thats why it has not ate in 2 weeks?
    Apparently she has defeated once. It's possible there's an impaction and the poo she passed was below the impaction. Not having eaten for 2 weeks isn't unusual and within normal expectations for a snake adjusting to captivity.

Difficult to say anything without some more pictures.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

honestly i cant see the bulging are in the pic, i also did not remember see where she had evacuated. also when she did was it just urate or urates and fecal matter? there is just a lot of info missing to be sure of anything really

72598_4698004622227_252475401_n.jpg601724_4698005862258_129153268_n.jpg1003005_4698005222242_817219547_n.jpg ok so here are the pictures from the top and from the side he/she no longer looks "bulgy" or gravid also i've seen the forum on sexing the snakes and there were a lot of vent pictures which is why i added a picture of his/her vent. by comparison to the other photo's in my opinion looks to be female. but i would like a consensus on whether anyone thinks it's female or male by the way everyone who has commented thank you all for your thoughts it's really had me thinking of other possibilities that i didnt even think of before. again i'm new to owning snakes and like any worried momma... well i'm sure everyone has been there before i hope... an another topic that was mentioned... the fecal matter was solid and kinda slimey and stunk like rotten eggs...not sure if that's normal or not could also be what he/she ate... again thank you everyone for replying ^_^

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

I would say female, and not gravid.

I wouldn't say your description of the faeces is necessarily a concern, the consistency and smell does vary depending on what they've eaten.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

I agree with Chris. Female and I don't think gravid.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

I agree that she is female. If she has eaten and defecated then she probably does not have an impaction. She could be gravid...looks gravid in that first pic to me...but not so much when you have her stretched out...so it's hard to say. I have a wild caught female that has been gravid three times...she was gravid when I took her in. I have questioned each time if she was gravid or not...I think it is one of those things that once you have seen it, you learn to spot it...and it can be difficult to know with a new snake. Once you have a snake for a while and know what the snake looks like when she is not gravid...you can start to know what she looks like when she is. You will have to watch and see...if she starts to gain more weight, then you can suspect she is. You can get a postal scale and begin to weigh her...see if she starts to put on significant weight in a short period of time. For now, I would just concentrate on making sure she is well and getting her set up in a nice enclosure if you plan to keep her...which I would since she apparently was having a hard time in the wild on her own...but that is up to you. We have threads that explain more about setting up enclosures and you can ask us anything you need to ask about caring for her. If you haven't already been given this:Garter Snake Forum - Garter Caresheet Thanks for taking her in and caring for her
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

thank you yeah i set her up with a 20 gallon (long not tall) tank with aspen substrate i've also made her a hide tube and put some fake leaves in there and she has a nice sized water dish. she's set up with a warm side where her hide is and a cool side where her water is. i'm using a dome lighting fixture with a low wattage bulb in it doesnt get over 85 degrees on the hot side. also have a hygromeater in the middle for the overall tank. she has fun in her aspen she burrows after we handle her when she goes to bed i usually wake up to her head poking out from the aspen super cute... i love my sanke so much i couldnt have gotten a better one. she's very docile never tried to bite even when she was shedding, has never musked, and just an overall happy snake. i take pictures daily of her in different poses. ^_^ i could go on but i'll stop there... hehe!

Sounds like you have a nice set-up for her. Garters are very easy to fall in love with...and they become quite addictive. I came on here 3 years ago with one that I found in my basement...and now I have 12. I was up to 14 but two passed, unfortunately. Two of my little ones are babies from my big eastern, Cee Cee...one of the great loves of my life But really...I love them all so much...they are all great loves of my life
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

so YAY!!! she finally ate!! i'm so happy to see her eat.... made my entire day! just a bit of good news...