Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: mites.

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

Re: mites.

as i said though these were quite big, alot bigger than i thought mites were.
    i will be taking all precausions anyway although he might have something to say about that as i have not tamed him that much lol
    i see some nasty bites coming my way lol bugger!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LushLulu85 View Post
    lol good its just i became quite ichy and i wasn't sure if it was just the thought of it lol
    I get itchy when I even think of mites
    and when I take care of the snakes that do have them, I always feel like the damn bugs are all over me and I'm gonna spread them to the rest of the world
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

lol rhea. i am glad it isn't just me lol

Alright, I am going to let you in on the best most effective way to get rid of mites & it will only cost $5. All major reptile dealers I know use this even when they sell the customer the expensive stuff.

Hearts 2 in 1 powder for cats available @ K-mart. only this brand carries the active ingredient to kill mites. Make sure it is the one for cats & not dogs

1. spinkle the powder in a plastic container with a couple of pieces of newsprint.
    2. put the affected snake in the container.
    3. Clean out the snakes enclosure the best you can. after cleaning the enclosure, make sure it is dried good. sprinkle the powder thoughout the bottom of the enclosure. Then cover with whatever substrate you use. (I use aspen 1) this will kill the mites that will hatch from the eggs that are in the enclosure.
    4. By this time most of the mites should have fallen off the snake. You will see "black specks" in the plastic container, those are the mites. Place the snake back in its enclosure.
    5. Dispose of the powder & newsprint in a plastic bag.

I have used this treatment for over 12 years now. Whenever I have acquired a new snake I treat it this way for mites. I have no mite problem & have over 60 snakes. any questions, feel free to contact me.

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_area View Post
    Alright, I am going to let you in on the best most effective way to get rid of mites & it will only cost $5. All major reptile dealers I know use this even when they sell the customer the expensive stuff.

Hearts 2 in 1 powder for cats available @ K-mart. only this brand carries the active ingredient to kill mites. Make sure it is the one for cats & not dogs

1. spinkle the powder in a plastic container with a couple of pieces of newsprint.
    2. put the affected snake in the container.
    3. Clean out the snakes enclosure the best you can. after cleaning the enclosure, make sure it is dried good. sprinkle the powder thoughout the bottom of the enclosure. Then cover with whatever substrate you use. (I use aspen 1) this will kill the mites that will hatch from the eggs that are in the enclosure.
    4. By this time most of the mites should have fallen off the snake. You will see "black specks" in the plastic container, those are the mites. Place the snake back in its enclosure.
    5. Dispose of the powder & newsprint in a plastic bag.

I have used this treatment for over 12 years now. Whenever I have acquired a new snake I treat it this way for mites. I have no mite problem & have over 60 snakes. any questions, feel free to contact me.

so I'm guessing theres no harm to the snake short term or long!!!!!
    Justin

A natural treatment for any type of creepy crawly is diatomaceous earth... then you wouldn't have to worry about chemicals. You'd dust the snake and line the cage with it. Just a thought.
    Lori, New Hope Rescue-- rescuing equines and others
    www.newhoperescueva.com

Quote Originally Posted by enigma200316 View Post
    so I'm guessing theres no harm to the snake short term or long!!!!!

None that I know of. Even the major reptile stores use this. They may sell the other stuff, but go into their back rooms that is what they use. East Bay Vivarium in Berkeley does sell it on the floor. I know Gillingham uses it too @ GVS in Lodi.
    I probly would not use it with herps that eat insects

"Second shed, A Success"

i had a python with mites,,,if theres alot of them and there crawling all over the snake then its mites,,,im guessing if it was 1 or 2 then it would be ticks

Quote Originally Posted by brandon0133 View Post
    i had a python with mites,,,if theres alot of them and there crawling all over the snake then its mites,,,im guessing if it was 1 or 2 then it would be ticks
    mites look black & pop when you pinch them

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by Bay_area View Post
    mites look black & pop when you pinch them
    this depends on the stage of development they are in, of if they've fed.
    What is the active carcinogen in the death cocktail you just listed, I cant find anything online. Cant be Dichlorvos as this does some nasty things to cats that it doesnt do to dogs.
    There are MUCH better / safer ways than pesticides, chemicals and poisons....
    Last edited by rancor_; 10-28-2007 at 08:08 PM. Reason: spelling