Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    "PM Boots For Custom Title" Snake lover 3-25's Avatar

Re: Flush with Wild Snakes

hmmmmmmm. maybe just a simple top half of the bottle with the end facing outward would work? then you could plug up all the rest of the whole except that one spot?
    S h a n l e y
    1.3 eastern garters
    1 midland painted turtle
    1 bernese mountain dog
    1 half siamese cat

"First shed In Progress" CelestiHel's Avatar

The valve and bottle are good ideas and I'll have to dig around to see if it will work. I have only ever once seen a snake go out, and that was the time I photographed it. That was in april. Since then, I only see them coming in, in the early-mid afternoon. And there is always more activity on warm days. It's possible that they go out as often, but I've never seen it because I'm either at work or asleep. Not a morning gal. I'm trying to find a person in my state who does wildlife removal (humanely!) but I can't find anyone. I've left messages at Fish & Wildlife and the Humane Society to see if they might know someone, but they haven't gotten back to me. Is anyone in my area (North/Central VT) and know someone I can consult?

Just thought I'd update folks, since it's been a while! So, the garters are still coming and going and now, even though they're not really pets, I'm totally attached to seeing their sweet little faces pop out of my wall occasionally. I discovered that the identical crack on the other side of the addition was also letting snakes in, which were likely the ones that were ending up in the living room proper. After catching the last three garters and plugging up the holes, I left just two feet of crack exposed near the top of the ceiling, where I can watch them come and go, but they don't end up in the living space.

That I know of there is only one more snake in my house living area, a milk snake, that has been living in my oven for at least a month. Not the cooking part, but underneath and maybe in the works...where ever it is, I can never get it when I try. We're getting a new oven next week, so maybe I can coax it out once the old one is removed from the house.

After discussing the issue of the denning snakes in my ceiling, and see in the myriad ways that they are getting in, we just determined that there is no way to get them out without great expense. Since we rent, it's not our expense to bear and we are not bothered by them. The addition is in such bad shape anyway that at this rate, they really should just start from scratch. Not our problem. We have decided to live with them in peace and harmony. For my part, I really want to see babies, but before my cats get a hold of them! Also, I've stopped naming them, there are too many and I can't tell them all apart!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!
    Helen
    Radical librarian & crazy cat lady extraoirdinaire | critter enthusiast

Helen,
    Sorry to hear that you weren't able to seal things up and keep them out. I have 2 places around my foundation were I know they are getting in. They aren't a bother and providing them a safe place to be is fine with me. My kids and I don't mind finding a radix on the floor once in awhile.
    If you have as many as it sounds like, babies shouldn't be a problem. Another month or so and you should start seeing the little scrubs. I warn you! picking one up and looking in those cute little eyes will only make it harder to release it. They will hypnotize you and you will be under their control. Have fun and enjoy.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

That is so wild Celest! I love it! I'm glad you decided to live with them. They are fascinating to watch. You know we're all going to want pictures, right?
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

I have some pictures of the garters and milksnakes I've caught in my living room. I'll take pictures of the milksnake under the oven once I fetch it out. Ooooh, if I find babies, there will be sooooo many pictures!

Picasa Web Albums - CelestiHel - Snakes of my ...
    Radical librarian & crazy cat lady extraoirdinaire | critter enthusiast

Looks like the garters have made themselves right at home, in your home.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

nice
    Bruce is very cool - probably a lady though
    there are more women into martial arts these days
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

You guys get all the luck .... I wish I had a garter invasion zone.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Ooooh, I'm jealous! Nice to know the snakes won't end up dead though. There are a lot of people who would have killed all of them.
    Which is more tempting: The fruit of knowledge or the possessed, talking serpent? DUH! - The Serpent!