Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Found snake in shower- help!!

This has to be your call. Keep in mind that the longer you keep it the more the chance you will be forced to keep it over the Winter. If you do keep it and it starts eating and thriving you'll be hard pressed to release it next Spring. Especially, if your little girl gets attached to it.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    This has to be your call. Keep in mind that the longer you keep it the more the chance you will be forced to keep it over the Winter. If you do keep it and it starts eating and thriving you'll be hard pressed to release it next Spring. Especially, if your little girl gets attached to it.
    Ok...lol so I have a choice to make. Either I let it go tomorrow, while were back to fairly warm weather, or I keep it (assuming it eats and thrives) for at least the winter.

If I kept it, what do I need to get? Does it need a heat lamp or heat pad? It is really very tiny...(as thin as a pencil...maybe even thinner) would it have trouble eating regular worms right now? I could prob dig some up from the garden but I think they are probably the same thickness. I have a pet smart, petco and a private petstore right by me. I am not sure what worms they sell- but I could go check it out. I can buy online too (but something at a petstore would avoid shipping which would be great).

Is there more than one type of thing I should try if I keep him? what kind of sizes should I be looking for? What kind of substrate should I use? I have paper towels in there for now, but im guessing there is something better?

Thanks in advance!

-Laura

Hi, I'm New Here!

Any thoughts? If I keep it, Should I use dirt from the garden as substrate? Or buy something from the store? Should I try worm from the garden? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! If I am gonna keep him for now, I want to set up a nice little home! Or would it really just be best for me to let it go? I will do whatever is best for it...but it's a cool little snake. lol I am enjoying it.

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

If you do keep him paper towels or aspen is fine...cut thee worms into tiny chunks about half the width of his head for now till he gets a couple of feedings in him then larger chunks.....
    Dan

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by gibble888 View Post
    If you do keep him paper towels or aspen is fine...cut thee worms into tiny chunks about half the width of his head for now till he gets a couple of feedings in him then larger chunks.....
    Thanks so much for the reply! He keeps going under the paper towels and ends up against the glass of the tank. Is that okay? What should I put in the tank to make him more comfortable? Does he need a heat/light source? The room he is in does not have a natural light source.

Also, does he need calcium powder supplement? I have never had a snake before so my knowledge comes from Lizards (I had a bearded dragon and a leopard gecko). I want to make sure I get it right and he gets the best possible care!

Thanks again!

"Preparing For Second shed" gibble888's Avatar

Hiding under the paper towel is normal....a flattened toilet paper roll as a hide and when you get more throw em in.....gonna need a shallow water dish changed at least weekly and depends on temp for the heat and im not sure what temps are correct for you as i keep garters
    Dan

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by gibble888 View Post
    Hiding under the paper towel is normal....a flattened toilet paper roll as a hide and when you get more throw em in.....gonna need a shallow water dish changed at least weekly and depends on temp for the heat and im not sure what temps are correct for you as i keep garters
    Ok, Thank you so much! I put a small plate with water in it cause everything else I had in my house is to deep...but I am going to go buy something more appropriate. Thanks again!

As for "heat" dekayi prefer cooler temperatures. Adding heat cooks them.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by infernalis View Post
    As for "heat" dekayi prefer cooler temperatures. Adding heat cooks them.
    Ok! So no heat. . Anything else I should know? I gathered up some slugs and worms yesterday. When I put a slug in with him he stalked it and was about to grab it when it slipped under the paper towels. . Then I made the mistake of going to retrieve the slug for him and in the process scared him. Whoops! I took the slug out (it was such a perfect, tiny one...I didn't want to waist it lol) and left a worm in with him. When I went back a while later I didn't see the worm, so he may have eaten it.

how much should he be eating?

i am going to the pet store today, so if there is anything else you guys think I need, please let me know!

Thanks so much!

Never shed

Let him go and buy a gartersnake ;-)
    Maybe the little guy dont want to eat well in captivity or get sick and dies. Thats a risk to take and i dont would want to take that risk
    Garter snakes , Ball pythons , Burmese pythons , corn snakes , Green iguana's , tortoises , ferrets , dogs , cats , mini pigs ,...