Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Bitten Much?

Re: Bitten Much?

I have been bitten a few times, Chomper (The Savannah Monitor) and Cain (Ball python) have the biggest impact when they bite.

Garters have bitten before, no big whoop, My Corn tried to eat my finger once

Those baby ribbons from Kyle, well they always bite!!

Hi, I'm New Here!

I have been bitten several times, especially while catching wild snakes. I've noticed that out of the native snakes here in eastern Kentucky, dekayi, ring-necks and green snakes are the least likely to strike.
    The worst bite I've experienced was from a racer (coluber constrictor) that I grasped at the mid body.

Out of the captive snakes, the worst for nipping were eastern milksnakes and sometimes a radix would get me. Earlier today, I was bitten by a w/c juvenile nerodia sipedon that I have been keeping. My mexican milk and knoblochi king are super well behaved, only vibrating their tails when startled. But I never handle them after they have eaten or when in ecdysis.

Out of the thamnophis I've kept, only the radix juveniles seemed to be nippy and the others had a tendency to musk when harassed instead of biting. The eastern garters seemed to be the more docile.

As one mentioned before, I never constrict the movements of a docile snake.

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    I have been bitten a few times, Chomper (The Savannah Monitor)
    You must of smelled like gravy!!

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    Those baby ribbons from Kyle, well they always bite!!
    I must say, my red sided from Kyle tried to bite me a few times, he is not so bad after all!!! Kyle are you training them to bite?? LOL
    Stephanie

Quote Originally Posted by Steph
    You must of smelled like gravy!!

Actually, he was quite pi$$ed off at me, I was late feeding him, so he made it a point, did not even try for the food! went straight for my hand, took a good angry bite as if to say "Don't do that again" and proceeded to eat after that.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Rosco, my Savannah, never got me, and I'm glad. I once heard the skull shatter on an adult mouse as he chomped down on it.

Thankfully Chomper was not trying to hurt me, I think he wanted to just let me know he was cheesed!

I am more respectful of those claws, He has power in his jaw, but he has power in those short legs as well, and talons at the end of each one!

He has always been puppy dog tame to me, except that once, and it was my fault.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Loren's Avatar

Same with mine- he only ever scared me if I scared him first.

Are his nails either getting filed down by digging or something like that, or getting trimmed occasionally? If you just let them grow, and they dont get filed down on their own, they get really sharp, and eventually get so long that they force the toes sideways. I used a cat nail trimmer to take the tips of from time to time.

In Hog Heaven

Chomper "Jaba" is precious, Dekay. I'm very sure it WAS your fault as Chomper is a precious perfect.

You need to be more respectful and understand your ways of being a hand-maiden with opposable thumbs...
    2.0 NY Eastern Garters; Peepers, Jeepers
    3.1 Western Hoggies; Kenabec, Niizh, Kokopelli, Anasazi
    3.0 Puget Garters; Kunikpok, Tungortok, 'Rockster
    1.0 Eastern Milk; Carmello

"PM Boots For Custom Title"

I have been bitten a few times from both my marcys and tetras mostly due to my lack of concentration.
    I did take on a malnourished and mite riddled 4 foot boa and it tagged me in the face. He hadn't had much human interaction in a while so i don't blame him. i blame the mother of the 15yr old that let him have it.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

I get bitten occasionally, but very rarely when considering that my collection is usually between 70- 85 snakes. My Garters practically never bite. A couple of them would definitely do it out of feeding response, but I feed with a hemostat, so it doesnt usually happen.

Wild snakes rarely bite me either. I do use my hands(for non-venomous), and do not constrain their head, but have done my best to learn how to handle with the least amount of threat to the snake, so they usually do not bite.
    that is basically exactly what I was going to say. In fact, i think you read my mind!!!
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!