Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New babies, with still borns

If you just found her...and if she has just given birth...she may not want to eat for a while...she may need to adjust to captivity and many snakes don't eat during delivery or right after. Sorry about the stillborns...it sucks, I know, but it does happen often. I wouldn't use live mice...give her time and she will start eating. Offer nightcrawlers, fish fillet (from the safe fish list on the caresheet) or frozen/thawed pinkies.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Looks like a red Radix. Not Fitchi, no way. I haven't seen enough coast garters... But looks like one of Steves beautiful red plains garters!

Radix have the best attitude n are just awesome snakes!

More pictures!!!!
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

HERE IS A PIC OF A RED PHASE COAST GARTER.

Bluesirtalis

Thamnophis elegans terrestris. No question about it. It's not a T. sirtalis fitchi and definitely not a T. radix.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Gorgeous girl! You're probably ok releasing her and the baby back where you found her. Since you do plan on releasing her I'm personally ok with her eating live mice, but nothing bigger than a pinky or fuzzy... they're pretty harmless and she should take one eagerly. I'm also in Northern California, though, and for whatever reason none of my adult garters have eaten this week or last, so I wouldn't worry if she doesn't eat for you. You can go ahead and let her go and she'll be fine. If you do want to try frozen/thawed mice, after it's thawed poke a hole near it's brain and let a little of the goo ooze out.... I know, gross. That should get her attention, though. She may prefer fish, but I would be hesitant to offer her commercial feeder fish before releasing her. They're not bred/shipped/stored in the most sanitary conditions. If you've raised the guppy fry I'm sure the baby will love them... if they're commercially raised as feeders I'd again be reluctant to give them to the baby. Though I completely understand you wanting to be kind and making sure it has a full belly before release, it's really not necessary. Mom would have had it where she was caught and it would be off finding it's own food...
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Had another thought overnight... depending on where you caught her she may very well have been mainly feeding on amphibians. Amphibians are known to carry high parasite loads, though, so I wouldn't try to replicate her natural diet. I'm still thinking releasing her is the best bet unless you really want a new pet... and then I'd still suggest releasing her and keeping the baby
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

"Preparing For First shed" taharial's Avatar

Thanks for all the help and advice, I really appreciate it!

Live mice... He shows up at the 9 min mark... Birth of Garter Snakes - YouTube He was a fuzzy when I got him, grew quite a bit over 2 weeks! I dumped oats in for him to eat, and he munched on the plant, and dug it up eating the roots. =/

Baby is doing well, I'm going to feed him a guppy or nightcrawler bits tomorrow. I'm guessing Mom came out of the ivy we have at the condos, they cut it in April, so I'm guessing her food source (mice) disappeared when they did that. We don't have any frogs or amphibious creatures around here... I have never seen earthworms come up with the rain either, but maybe we don't get enough rain for that. I bought a pinky just for size comparison to the baby (wow) and the mom ate it within a minute.

So my new concern is, being fed in captivity, do you think the baby would know how to hunt and find food in the wild if I release it? I'm kinda torn, he is so dang gorgeous!

Quote Originally Posted by taharial View Post
    So my new concern is, being fed in captivity, do you think the baby would know how to hunt and find food in the wild if I release it?
    I don't think thats anything to worry about. It's hardwired into them to know what to do,

As far as the mouse goes, if the snake doesn't eat the mouse, it's best not to leave it in with the snake. From what I understand mice/rats will sometimes start chewing on the snake. I would leave it out of the cage and try it after a few days or so. Or maybe stick to the the pinkies, if she seems to like them.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Never leave mice unattended with a snake. The prey can very easily become the hunter.
    Never leave mice alone with a snake.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Yes...that is the biggest concern with feeding live prey to garters. The prey often becomes the predator. Because many garters are smaller and do not have fangs, venom, or the ability to constrict and control prey like some of the larger snakes...the mouse will often fight back and hurt the garter.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe