Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Baby Snakes and Children

Quote Originally Posted by chris-uk View Post
    Another good point. When it comes to children don't take on a snake that you don't have time to look after yourself if the child looses interest.
    Very good point to bring up.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Lol very good advise, but the radix that I have now was supposed to be the kids' snake. Their mom and her boyfriend are afraid of snakes and wouldt let them keep him.

So I get to have him

Also tell them they have to pay for all the stuff themselves so you they will commit to the animal and not just want it as a novelty and loose interest.
    Will

That might work. I dont mind buying the fish to feed the snake. Since my wandering eats them and I am training the radix to eat fish instead of toads.

The kids's mom might let them have the snake at her house, but it would have to share the same tank as the bearded dragon. And that would not be a good thing. As one would eat the other.

I think it's a bad idea to send any babies where there is not a dedicated person caring for them and monitoring them.
    A lockable enclosure would be mandatory if small children would have access.
    Without these thing I feel it is putting them in harms way.

Let the kids visit and see yours. They get satisfied and the babies are safe.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

It took a few months of letting the twins (monsters) see the snakes before I even let them touch Mama. Even longer to let them hold her. Even then I was scared constantly for the few seconds they did hold her.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Do they want babies because they want to watch them grow, or because they want the snakes to be small? If its the latter. they will probably lose interest when the snakes get larger. And if that's the case, you could consider adult dekayi instead of garters, or another small breed. That way they stay small and managable, eat mostly earthworms, which are cheaper for the kids to purchase themselves, or just dig up in the yard. Dekayi also seem to be a little more relaxed in more stressful situations. Which will give the youngest a nice very tame small snake to help overcome his fear.

Most people have said that dekayi's tend to be more skittish than garters. A male garter stays pretty small. Male northwesterns are only about 1.5 ft.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

I have to agree with what the others have been saying...as far as baby snakes and children go...babies are a lot to care for and so tiny that it is difficult handling them for an adult. I have had many occasions of my babies jumping out of my hands and almost getting lost...I rarely handle them now. They are also very easy to smush if you do not handle them very gently. With children and snakes...as with any pet...children often love the idea of having a pet, but then do not want to actually take the time to care for the pet and lose interest quickly. I know this because I am now caring for two guinea pigs and two hermit crabs that my son "just had to have" but never pays attention to. My son also has garters that he calls his own...but he never handles them and I care for them. Best idea would be to have a snake that the kids could call their snake...but you care for it and always supervise if they are handling the snake...and I would definitely say no to babies.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

I also agree with what everyone has been saying. Another thing to consider, besides the safety of the snake, is that if you get little young babies, it may be a little less likely for them to survive...Which can be rather upsetting, especially for kids. Once they are around a year or older, it seems like they are more likely to continue to thrive. My biggest thing I can think of is that it is a "phase" of some sort, and after the initial excitement of having a new snake/s, they'll get bored and all work and responsibility will be pawned off on you.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie