Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    "Preparing For Fourth shed" Sputnik's Avatar

Re: Redsided, orange spotted Garter snakes in UK?

Yes, I have exchanged a few e-mails with Alan Francis (lovely guy!) and hopefully will be able to buy from him in the summer. I feel quite honoured. He also got my little garter snake eating. I was getting quite concerned about her, she hadn't fed since we bought her a few weeks ago and judging by the size difference to her brother, she's had trouble for ages, poor thing. Alan suggested trying earthworms from my garden and within seconds she gobbled down the first one with great enthusiasm, followed by 3 more!

Thumbs up Re: Redsided, orange spotted Garter snakes in UK?

Great. I'm pleased for you.
    James.

"Preparing For Second shed"

I too would love some Flame garters but I live in Ireland that's worse, have five of my own it's a long a tiring search I'd love some Chequered they seems very hard to find here

They're readily available in England. Maybe someone could send you some, or jump on the ferry...there are breeders in Wales.
    James.

Are they pricey I expect hoping someone could get one over here is out of the question,
    I wish I knew some one over there I could go stay with or had been into snakes when I went to Whales years back

Quote Originally Posted by Rosina View Post
    Yes, I have exchanged a few e-mails with Alan Francis (lovely guy!) and hopefully will be able to buy from him in the summer. I feel quite honoured. He also got my little garter snake eating. I was getting quite concerned about her, she hadn't fed since we bought her a few weeks ago and judging by the size difference to her brother, she's had trouble for ages, poor thing. Alan suggested trying earthworms from my garden and within seconds she gobbled down the first one with great enthusiasm, followed by 3 more!
    I chatted with him too very helpful

"First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

Mabey I can find out about Chequered and Flame garter breeders around here for you but I've not had anything mentioned to me recently. My local reptile shop is called "Silent world" Located in Tenby,south west wales. At one point they had a garter colony but I think they sold them, I think they are breeding a few other reptiles too, take a look.

index -Check under the news tab

Also, a customer of theirs is looking to breed some garters and they have asked if I would like to breed my female eastern red sided, im not to sure about that yet but I will keep you posted.If I did breed them would any of you Uk and Wales residents be interested in buying?

Anyway I will ask them if they know of any less common garter breeding going on.
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again

I might be interested in buying...I would have to see the resulting offspring before I commit myself though. Just a thought; do you know who this other customer is? Be careful if you don't know him, you never know how healthy his snakes are, or how well he keeps them. If the male is coming to you, be sure to quarantine him for a while. You don't want any nasty surprises!
    James.

"First shed In Progress" RedSided's Avatar

Which is why im not sure about it yet, I would have to have a proper conversation with them and check the snake of course, I dont't like to assume the worst about paresties and so on but it is needed to ensure the welfare of both snakes.
    Does your water bowl look like a toilet, it does? Guess I will have to change it again