Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paralyzed tail

"Preparing For First shed" Buck's Avatar

Re: Paralyzed tail

Is it possible that she has a blood clot or something that is blocking blood flow to her tail? How long has her tail been paralyzed? Also, let us know if her scales have any change in color below her vent.
    The name's Buck. Short for Buckminster. Long for Buh.

She has a strange bend in her tail and from that point down there is no response. I think I posted a pic on the old snakes thread. I think the infection is from not being able to lift her tail to void and it's irritated from stool and urates. I tried separating her from everyone, but she got depressed and stopped being active. All she did was lay around all day. The tail has been non responsive longer than the infection had been there. I'm just wondering now if after the infection clears would it be beneficial, for her, to do anything about the dead weight?
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

"PM Boots For Custom Title" chris-uk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by katach View Post
    She has a strange bend in her tail and from that point down there is no response. I think I posted a pic on the old snakes thread.
    It's almost certain that the odd bend in the tail is related. Perhaps an injury which broke her spine at that point. Perhaps inflammation which is compressing the spinal cord and also bending the spine. I suspect that the only way to know would be either expensive or fatal.

I think the infection is from not being able to lift her tail to void and it's irritated from stool and urates. I tried separating her from everyone, but she got depressed and stopped being active. All she did was lay around all day.
    From this update I'd tend to agree with your assessment of cause and effect - fairly likely that the the paralysed tail has caused (or at least contributed to) the infection.

The tail has been non responsive longer than the infection had been there. I'm just wondering now if after the infection clears would it be beneficial, for her, to do anything about the dead weight?
    Are you asking whether there would be any benefit to surgery to remove the paralysed tail (or part of it)? If the tissue in the tail is still live, viable tissue I wouldn't do anything to remove it. This is a relatively old snake isn't she? Perhaps the best course moving forward is periodic pre-emptive treatment, maybe weekly betadine baths?

She's still active and able to move (although not as easily as other snakes) so I'd just treat the symptoms.

One of my checkered girls has bumps on her spine, she's able to climb and move fairly normally it's just that her tail flops a little from side to side as she slithers. She does have movement in her tail though, although I'm sure she doesn't have full strength in it. She also has a lack of coordination when she strikes at food, almost as if she doesn't time closing her mouth, which means I need to hold her food still and she'll still sometime need a couple of attempts. She's climbs and is active so I'm not too concerned, although I do worry because I'm sure the spinal bumps are the same as her sister had (Bethan didn't eat though and had more severe kinks in her spine) - I know what the bumps were on Bethan because I did a partial dissection to investigate when she died.

I digress, but the point was that if she's active, eating, not in pain, and you are able to control future infections... if she's an old snake let her live her life out in comfort and don't do anything too drastic.
    Chris
    T. marcianus, T. e. cuitzeoensis, T. cyrtopsis, T. radix, T. s. infernalis, T. s. tetrataenia

Thanks Chris. That makes me feel better. She is just an old girl. We'll do whatever we can to keep her happy and comfortable until the end.
    Kat
    2.2 T.s.pickeringii, 0.4.7 T.ordinoides 1.1 T.marcianus 1.1 T. radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis 1.2 Pseudacris regilla

I hope that she feels better soon. I will be thinking of her.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

Poor girl, I hope her tail gets better soon. Maybe in addition to the betadine baths, she might need a weekly(or daily?)plain water bath, or wipe down, to prevent the urates and stool from irritating it again.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie