Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: Wild caught and injured

Those injuries are very, very minor and already healing. I really don't think any sort of special treatment is necessary. It does look a bit thin though. Might be carrying a heavy parasite load. If it were me, I would just release where found. If keeping it is the plan, it's critical that you get it eating soon before it gets too weak.

Force feeding is a bad idea, especially since we don't know the reason for it not eating. Most of the time, force feeding is very harmful and I wouldn't recommend it unless it's a very valuable snake and only as a last ditch effort.

Hi, I'm New Here!

My personal experiences tell me that the best option may be to cut up the cod into very easily edible pieces, count the pieces and place them on a small dish either in his hide or right near the entrance to his hide. Then leave him alone, totally alone, don't even check on him for a whole day.

That has done the trick for me on a couple of occasions with picky eating garters.

Good Luck!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Eastern. Stripes look right next to belly scales and head is big so not butler.
    Looks cat mauled- internal injuries will determine if it lives or not. Active curiosity is good mushy body bad, tailored purely cosmetic.

Keep it comfortable with both dry and moist hides available.
    Offer small bits of fish and worm every day and hope for the best.
    Antibiotic ointment may help.

My rescues often won't eat until they have. Healed enough to shed- this shed is often hard and may reopen surface wounds. Just reapply ointment afterand don't panic.

Be very careful when handling so internal injuries aren't aggrivated. These will have to heal on their own...or not.
    you can only do your best to provide a comfortable environment for healing and let nature decide the rest.
    God bless.

Looks like an eastern...but it also looks like it could be one of those parietalis without the red like Chris has. Poor thing! Glad you are taking care of it.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Looks like a red-sided garter to me. Those wounds do look very minor n should heal just fine.
    I think he could feel 'mushy to you for a couple reasons....
    1. your used to the muscle of a corn snake
    2. He hasn't eaten.

Try to find some 'dew worms' same thing as 'night crawlers'. Earth worms are very similar and also ok to eat. Just don't feed any 'red wigglers' or 'trout worms'.

Try going to a Canadian tire that sells live bait Or a fishing store some thing, anywhere that sells live bait should have worms. Be aware that some times worms are mislabled as trout worms but are in fact dew worms. Simply open the tub up n take a look at the worms, if they have red bands across them, avoid! If not your safe! (If you feel really unsure you could pick up a worm n pinch it, if it emit a yellowy bitter smelling slim its unsafe, if its clear-ish n just smells like... worm lol its safe. (Just be sure to have a napkin or tissue with you))

My snakes all go nuts for worms! I cut up the worm into bite size pieces put them in a little dish or jar lid n had a little bit of water. n serve!

Adding water is very important when you have a picky or shy eater, its keeps the food moist long enough for the snake to go try it. If the food starts to get dry n tacky, the snake may go n want to eat it but after feeling it decide it is not the right texture n wont eat. Or He could still try n eat it and not be able to swallow it because it'll get stuck in his throat n he could choke if he cannot get it out of his mouth. But JUST ADD WATER and no worries!
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Light of Dae's Avatar

Also important is Leave Him Alone time. lol If he doesn't eat on your next try... IGNORE him completely(save for changing his water) for 7-10 days or longer. Don't watch him, don't offer food, don't touch him, don't do anything with him or his tank except change water if it needs it. Let him FULLY settle in, let his mind get completely wrapped around where he is. He'll be fine so long as there is water.

After ignoring him for this time then offer worms in a dish with water. Simply put dish in, shut lid, sit back n watch (sit still) or walk away n leave him to it. He'll eat. Trust me.
    3.2 T.Marcianus, 1.2 T.Sirtalis, 1.0 Zacapu, 1.0 T.Radix
    0.1 Banana Cali King Snake
    0.1 BoxerXRottie Mutt

Banned

Sound advice. Definitely worth a try. Sometimes offering too often and/or disturbing them daily, actually prolongs their unwillingness to eat.

"Preparing For Second shed"

poor snake hope he eats soon I found guppies work well for non-feeders it's what I started my first baby garter on,

Banned

Instincts are kicking in. Garters from northern latitudes are highly responsive to seasonal changes due to lengthening or shortening of days, regardless of temperature. The snake "knows" its time to hibernate. Will likely refuse food until spring/simulated spring. It's just biorhythm.

I think the best thing for the snake would be to keep very cool (50-60 degrees F) and inactive for a couple of months. Follow up with gradually increasing daylight hours and wamer temperatures.

The snake will likely just hold out on food but will starve/lose weight without the cool down. The colder temps/inactivity slows the metabolism and they don't need to eat.

You wouldn't eat half a large pizza and dessert if it was 10 min before bedtime would you? Snake doesn't want eat because it's bed time. Wake up time is spring.

I still think that the snake should have been left alone or moved as little distance as nessesary to remove it from immediate danger. The well intended interference often does more harm than good. Nature can take care of her own.

I would eat half a pizza and dessert before bedtime..heck, half the time I get up in the middle of the night and cook a meal.

If you could post a pic of the snake...we could tell you if he/she looks dehydrated, ill, etc.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe