Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: releasing baby ribbons far from original habitat?

Quote Originally Posted by gellfex View Post
    Really? Easy for you to say. A 4 hr round trip at today's gas prices rather than release snakes in their indigenous area?
    That is the right thing to do, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    My baby ribbons are holy terrorists....
    That makes me feel really good Wayne. lol
    0.1 Storeria dekayi
    Hoping to get some T. s. sirtalis High-Reds next summer!

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    That is the right thing to do, yes.
    It appears the point is moot since I seem to have takers for the snakes. But I am a naturally argumentative person

I don't see a real compelling case made by either of you for "place of capture" release rather than another part of the established range of the species. Yes, the snakes might not make it if the local habitat isn't "right" for some reason. But, assuming (with no evidence either way) that there isn't a local population of ribbons, re-introduction of a once native species is done all the time with the assumption of high mortality among the animals. I think of Falcons, Condors and Wolves as obvious examples of major reintroduction programs.

There's a webcam celebrity Peregrine Falcon pair nesting on an office tower a mile from me that lost 3 of 4 babies this year. Being wild isn't easy.

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

Whether or not the cases are compelling, YOU took them from the wild. Even if it is inconvenient for you, the responsible thing is to do what is in the snakes very best interest. Since you took them, you owe them that.

Hi, I'm New Here!

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets23 View Post
    Whether or not the cases are compelling, YOU took them from the wild. Even if it is inconvenient for you, the responsible thing is to do what is in the snakes very best interest. Since you took them, you owe them that.
    You do make a point.

Just to be clear, I didn't intend to take "them", just 1! Nobody here would have snakes but for some wild collecting. It's the collecting for sale that endangers species.

re-introduction of a once native species is done all the time
    By people who know what they're doing (no offence). It's not something that should be attempted randomly by just anyone. It's utterly pointless and sounds like a really bad excuse.

Any of the arguments that Wayne used, outweigh the gas cost and inconvenience in my opinion. You'll have to excuse me if I don't seem to be putting much effort into convincing you, but lately the issue has been discussed ad nauseam and not just on this forum.

"Third shed, A Success" Hornets23's Avatar

I know, and I dont really have a problem with a certain amount of wild collecting when it is necessary. I just think its important to give them the best chance possible if you're going to put them back....or it back.

You do make a point.

Just to be clear, I didn't intend to take "them", just 1!
    And nobody is blaming you for it, mistakes happen. But it is the wrong time of year to be collecting snakes.

Nobody here would have snakes but for some wild collecting.
    Some wild collecting, not every time somebody wants a new snake.

It's the collecting for sale that endangers species.
    Both endanger species. Even though collecting for sale causes significant losses because of how the snakes are treated, collecting for your own needs is not that much better and certainly worse than buying a captive bred animal.

It's all about the Fuzzies jitami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hornets23 View Post
    This is my opinion as well... whether you meant to take a gravid mom or not, it's still your doing. I'm not trying to be harsh here. I understand things happen and you just have to do the best you can to rectify the situation you created. Without any ecological education I'm going to throw a couple of ideas out at Stefan and others with more experience and education than I and let's see if a compromise can be found... and I know this may be a moot point in this particular case, but I would still like to know the answers...

1)Let's say gellfex can go out and find a viable ribbon population in some of the ponds closer to home. Would it then be ok to release the babies in this location?

2)If no ribbon population can be found locally, would it be ok to feed & house these babies over the winter and then drive them back to the original capture sight next spring/summer and then release them? I have a feeling I know the answer to this one, but...

3)Other than rehoming the babies to live captive lives, are there any other compromises that could work?

Again, just curious... I would have a weekend drive planned to release them. Make a day of it, teach the kids an invaluable lesson, etc.

Good luck, whatever you decide gellfex..
    Tami

Oh. Because you know, it seems to me that, aside
    from being a little mentally ill, she's pretty normal.

Quote Originally Posted by jitami View Post
    1)Let's say gellfex can go out and find a viable ribbon population in some of the ponds closer to home. Would it then be ok to release the babies in this location?
    In my (professional?) opinion, it's best not to mix populations in the wild.

2)If no ribbon population can be found locally, would it be ok to feed & house these babies over the winter and then drive them back to the original capture sight next spring/summer and then release them? I have a feeling I know the answer to this one, but...
    I have a feeling that you do.

3)Other than rehoming the babies to live captive lives, are there any other compromises that could work?
    I'll keep an open mind, in case somebody comes up with a good idea.