Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Banned

Re: CB vs WC Opinions Please

No difference in temperment. A snake is a snake. A WC snake can become accustom to you and learn not to fear you, just as any CB snake can. But as was already mentioned, WC snakes nearly always carry a parasite load. It can range from mild and having no apparent effect on the snake, to a heavy load which may include tapeworms and effects the snake's appetite, body mass, and immunity. Garters can live for many years while carrying a parasite load, but the bottom line is, they are much better off without the parasite load.

If you're brave enough to try it, and armed with a little knowledge of how to do it, you can treat snakes for parasites yourself for pennies. The meds are extremely cheap and available OTC. It's getting the dosage right that's critical. For that you need access to a very accurate scale capable of measuring micrograms.

It's hard on a reptile to get dewormed. You're essentially giving them poison. There's a right time and a wrong time to do it. If done properly, it's worth the risk. Your snake will be healthier, have better appetite, better immunity, and will likely live longer and have fewer health issues.

I deworm all my WC snakes as a precaution. There's really no need to spend money on a vet visit and fecal exams when you can pretty much count on a WC snake having parasites. So, I just treat them as if they do have them, and every time, sure enough, they expel pinworms and sometimes tapeworms during treatment. There is almost always a weight gain and improvement in muscle tone and appetite after they are rid of the worms.

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

I started this thread only because I am considering (for the first time ever!) catching a wild garter to keep even though I would probably end up releasing it eventually.

Buy a captive bred one.

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

You're right! I'm one of those people that can't take anything out of the wild only because I feel they were lucky (sometimes unlucky!) to be born there. That's just me!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    Buy a captive bred one.
    Even better. And be sure to take reasonable precautions to ensure that they don't get parasites. CB is no guarantee that they are parasite free however, particularly if you buy an adult.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

If you have the option, you definitely want to get a CB

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BUSHSNAKE's Avatar

i prefer Wild Caught...at the moment my whole collection is wild caught that way i can keep track of lineages and take a lot of pride in offering F1 bloodlines so i have confidence in offering healthy babies and have cut out recessive traits to prevent any inbreeding

SCOUSER

my only negative experiences have been with wc ribbons, in spite of a number of attempts over the years i was never able to cure them of a very nervous skittish disposition, when i get round to giving then another try its captive bred or not at all.
    ​I'm not actually a gynecologist...but i'll take a look.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Probably the most habitually pissy and violent wild snakes I've ever come across are rat snakes. Water snakes and garters generally seem to have pretty good temperaments, but I'm afraid to bring one in just for the heck of it because I'd worry about passing parasites/mites/ect. to one of mine.
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Banned

Never seen mites on a wild snake. Seen a few ticks but never mites. Mites run rampant in some people's captive collections and that's usually where you'll get them from. Especially from pet store animals.