Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    "Preparing For Second shed"

Re: Baby Snakes Found in House

they eat ant larva and eggs. I'm torn on them, invasive yes, but all of the areas where they can survive outside in the US are areas that have problems with invasive ant species. Where as I would not have advocated bringing them to the states (they give me the creeping shudders) part of me sort of hopes they help with the ant issue since they're here...

"PM Boots For Custom Title" BLUESIRTALIS's Avatar

Blind snakes are all over florida now. I never heard of them getting in peoples houses though because they usually stay underground. I guess that's why they come in on heavy rains because they get flooded out. They are an invasive species but they are beneficial though because they eat termites and like the last post said ant larvae.
    Bluesirtalis

I just don't like the idea of destroying any living thing unless there is a really justifiable reason for doing so. I mean...if there were hundreds of them invading your house and they were dangerous to you or if they were disrupting the environment somehow...maybe. I would see what I could learn about them...find out why exactly they are saying they are invasive. They eat larva and eggs of what?
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe

"Preparing For Second shed"

Quote Originally Posted by EasternGirl View Post
    They eat larva and eggs of what?
    as previously stated they eat ant larva and eggs.

I understand stefan's opinion that they are an invasive species and should not be in florida, but on the other hand i agree with marnie because they are beneficial in all kind of ways if you look at it as they eat ants, ant and termite eggs, and termites plus they are a food source for baby racers,coachwhips,eastern coral snakes,baby indigos,pygmy rattlers,baby kings, and scarlet kings not to mention all the other hundreds of animals that would feed on them in the wild. I know you have to worry about parasites and diseases but all of these blind snakes are bred and produced in the wild all over florida now and have been there for years.
    Bluesirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by BLUESIRTALIS View Post
    I understand stefan's opinion that they are an invasive species and should not be in florida, but on the other hand i agree with marnie because they are beneficial in all kind of ways if you look at it as they eat ants, ant and termite eggs, and termites plus they are a food source for baby racers,coachwhips,eastern coral snakes,baby indigos,pygmy rattlers,baby kings, and scarlet kings not to mention all the other hundreds of animals that would feed on them in the wild. I know you have to worry about parasites and diseases but all of these blind snakes are bred and produced in the wild all over florida now and have been there for years.
    The fact that they harm domestic ants and termites hardly counts in their favor. And how are the domestic competitors faring?

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Selkielass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    The fact that they harm domestic ants and termites hardly counts in their favor.
    *looks, double takes and shakes *
    In Florida, the insects always win, eventually.
    We mere cordates can only hope to keep them temporarily at bay.
    Id welcome allies against foes that literally want to eat me out of house and home.

Sic em on the ants and termites!

I personally would much rather have thousands of these harmless little snakes underground than the ants and termites, but lets not blow this out of proportion because this is based my opinions and not the actual ecosystem i just prefer snakes over ants and termites. I am not trying to dispute anything about them being invasive but point out the pros of the situation because as long as they have been in florida i don't think we will be able to change the outcome were talking about years of breeding,living, and thriving in florida there is no telling how many are there so we better accept them point out the pros ot the situation and move on.
    Bluesirtalis

Hi, I'm New Here!

Wow. Who knew this would cause so much banter. To let you all know, I did not destroy them. I just thre them back outside. No harm no foul.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee