Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snake racks

Re: Snake racks

Quote Originally Posted by the_edsta View Post
    Lets slow down here! The common rack system offers 3sq ft of space per level, which is MORE floor space than a 20 gal long container.
    20 gallons is less than half and 3 square feet is just over half of what I provide my snakes with and even these enclosures are on the small side.

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stefan-A View Post
    20 gallons is less than half and 3 square feet is just over half of what I provide my snakes with and even these enclosures are on the small side.
    It is still a bit arbitrary to decide on a specific square footage as being acceptable and to then castigate at large systems that are especially useful for other species. I have particular aversions to the taking of imagined moral high ground in a hobby that calls for us to cage cold-blooded animals and sacrifice others -- often warm blooded animals that are closer to ourselves as organisms -- for their sustanence. I do it as well, but I understand the implications of this action and hence don't feel the need to make such narrow distinctions.
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)

It's not just square footage it's also view for garter snakes. Allowing them to see their surrounding creates less stress and makes them more comfortable.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

I've kept Harley in a tub for almost half a year now. It was a quarantine thing because I needed to be able to immediately clean and replace anything she pooed on because of the parasites. But the floorspace is about that of the 50 gallon that she was in, and she seems perfectly happy in it. It's a clear tub, so she still comes out and watches me move around the room and all. I'd like to get something with a little more height for a permanent enclosure, but I see nothing wrong with the idea of a sterlite tub instead of a tank if the sizes are appropriate.

My python is in a tub as well. Works much better for her since they are nocturnal and prefer to sit still squished into one place (she isn't squished in, but she smooshes herself into corners and under decorations anyway).
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

"First shed, A Success" the_edsta's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    It's not just square footage it's also view for garter snakes. Allowing them to see their surrounding creates less stress and makes them more comfortable.
    That post was responding to the notion of some kind of moral stance against rack/tub systems for all species. I agree that tanks are best for garters.
    1.0 Florida Blue (Sirtalis), 1.0 Parietalis, 1.1 Marcianus
    0.1 infernalis, 1.0 Eques obscurus
    6.5 Pantherophis 0.1 Scarlet King; 1.0 Cali King; 1.1 PueblaCorn;
    2.3 Milk/King hybrids (new!)

Quote Originally Posted by the_edsta View Post
    That post was responding to the notion of some kind of moral stance against rack/tub systems for all species. I agree that tanks are best for garters.
    I don't have a problem with rack systems for some species of snakes but my personal opinion is garters do not benefit from them.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee