Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: we got an anole

Re: we got an anole

I had some of those a long time ago
    they even changed colour a little
    different shades of green/brown
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

I had a few Green Anoles a while ago. Be quick and pay attention to them while handling them, especially the small ones, because they have a tendency to hop out of your hands and scurry into the nearest heater vent. They're really fun little lizards, though, for anyone who's never had them.
    Neat to watch, too.

Rhea, if they change colors like that then they are most likely green anoles which are stressed.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

Quote Originally Posted by abcat1993 View Post
    Rhea, if they change colors like that then they are most likely green anoles which are stressed.
    mine didn't change colour quickly - it tended to happen when they hung out in the same place for a long time - some gradual move toward background colour
    also in response to light and shade - sort of like tan-lines
    back then, I probably wasn't that great at providing the best care
    I ended up giving them to a friend, because I'd ended up with two cats, and couldn't figure out, how to keep them away from the enclosure. That was quite clearly stressing the anoles.
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

"First shed In Progress" krystalirelan@southslope.'s Avatar

great pics. I'm still trying to figure out posting pics, but i'll keep trying. anyway, how do you tell if they are male or female?
    Krystal

Hi Krystal,

Have you seen this thread with directions for http://www.thamnophis.com/forum/site...-pictures.html?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by krystalirelan@southslope. View Post
    great pics. I'm still trying to figure out posting pics, but i'll keep trying. anyway, how do you tell if they are male or female?
    It's not easy when they're young! As adults, the males are much larger, especially their heads. The females tend to have a light stripe down their back. And the males have 2 enlarged post anal scales that females don't have. My best advice, go to amazon.com and buy a cheap book. That's where I learned everything I know about them. I hope I've helped!

the anole is a green anole. also we got another in the same manner as the first. a week or so ago my husband came home and said our anoles are dead. i went to look as i had just sprayed them 20 min. ago and both were fine. and sure enough they were laying upside down together by the rock. I opened the cage and they both jumped up and took off. well now one is getting really thick in the middle and digging around alot in the substrate. were they breeding? i have been checking for eggs but don't see any. ofcourse it's a little like looking under the hood of the car...i see all sorts of stuff but don't know if it really belongs!
    Krystal

I'm not sure, mine did the same thing (I mean the female got thick), but it never got any skinnier and escaped after a few months.
    0.1 Jack Russell Terrier
    1.0 T. sirtalis

sunday i was doing a little cage mait. and there was a baby anole in there! we looked all over the internet to find what to do w/him and decided to put him in his own little cage to make sure he ate. well, the little guy can get thru the smallest of holes. we hope to have a few more hatch over the summer (it can take12 weeks for all to hatch!)
    Krystal