Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Where do you buy fillet?

Fresh fish at my supermarket.
    Le Ann

"Research shows that if you're afraid of spiders, you are more likely to find one in your bedroom. I'm really afraid of Johnny Depp."

Don't trust any of it.You never know how it was handled.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Thanks.

I just chopped up silversides they loved it, (well, my flame did) that'll proab;y work. I may still get fillet if i can find it, but there isn't really any point...

Oh, just saw Shannons post. Yup i used sliversides!! silversides!! silversides!! i just have to chop them cause they're huge.

"Preparing For Fourth shed" Spankenstyne's Avatar

Be careful with "silversides", they aren't all the good ones. There are many that are commonly called "silversides" that are actually smelt & contain thiaminase. I haven't been able to find any actual proper silversides here yet that aren't smelt... but my search continues
    Chris

"Preparing For Second shed" Mix's Avatar

I was actually beginning to wonder whether this had something to do with my snake losses. I buy mine filleted or whole (and fillet myself) from the fish market counter at a supermarket - not pre-packed - as I don't have a local fishmonger. I always check to see the fish have clear eyes etc, and the origin (most are British farmed).
    Perhaps I need to start making trips into the city, where we have a large market; but I don't know whether the supply there would be any different.
    Mix
    2.0 T. radix - Ska & Patton
    Yo ho, haul together, hoist the colours high,
    Heave ho, thieves and beggars, never shall we die

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    silversides!!! silversides!!! silversides!!!
    Shannon's right. Silversides, sold frozen as aquarium fish food, are the best IMO. However, they are quite expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSidedSPR View Post
    Sally's are the best. Perfect whole-fish food for your snakes. perfect food for your fish eating snakes. It doesn't get much better than these.

How do you tell them apart?

Silversides (Arctic pond smelt, the safe kind, good for snakes) do not have an adipose fin. Google "adipose fin" for details.

Ocean Nutrition brand are OK too, but more expensive and not packed as well.

"Silversides" sold for human consumption are not always thiaminase-free, and not always just one species of fish. Best to stick with the brands mentioned above, sold as fish food.

In addition to the "safe fish" list found in the forum care sheets, you should look at this and keep it under consideration if you are going to use fresh grocery store fish intended for human consumption: List of Seafood Health Alerts - Seafood Selector - Environmental Defense Fund

Tilapia - Seafood Selector - Environmental Defense Fund

Salmon - Seafood Selector - Environmental Defense Fund

Trout - Seafood Selector - Environmental Defense Fund

Many grocery stores also sell these same "fresh" fish in their frozen section, at a discount. If you're going to freeze the fresh fish anyway, this cheaper pre-frozen fish is just as good. Just make sure to read the ingredients. Only fish ("and", if applicable), water should be listed. No colors, salt, or preservatives. It is often the same fish they offer fresh daily, except that it has been frozen and is much cheaper. Nothing wrong with that.
    Last edited by ConcinusMan; 06-26-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mix View Post
    I was actually beginning to wonder whether this had something to do with my snake losses.
    Doubtful. Any problems associated with feeding your snakes "bad fish" will either cause your snakes (all of them that ate the fish) to immediately become ill or die, or else feeding the wrong kind of fish, or contaminated fish, long term and exclusively, will cause neurological symptoms such as trembling, seizures, vomiting, etc. long before it causes actual death.

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    silversides!!! silversides!!! silversides!!!

Good words of knowledge, TY Shannon.
    I have been trying different live fish for my Puget’s. The will eat them but sometimes it is a struggle.
    So today, I’m off island at Costco and decided to check at Petsmart for a small guppies. No luck they are out. The young woman suggested Silversides. I have heard this forum speak of them often, so I get some.
    My newest fem ate 5 pinkies and 7 sliver sides .... OMG. I offer a SS to my 2010 fem and she hasn’t eaten any fish strictly a worm woman. So I offer the SS ..… and she devours three, now mind you she is a very small snake and two large NCers filler her. I tried to get the camera out for picks and this is the best I could get.

Looks like she swalled a golf pencil.

Michael
    1.1 Woma (Sun Burst), 2.1 Eastern Blackneck, 3.3 Plains Garter, 3.1 Puget Sound,
    2.1 Granite Checker, 1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa (snake sitting )

small town of Durand,MI. which ever direction you are going out of or town you wil going uphilll

How big are silversides and if I got some do I need a filter and things like that or do they gulp air like gold fish do? Im wondering that if they arent that pig maybe I will get some and keep them in a fish bowl and feed them to the babies. also when they eat those are they still possibly needing to eat everyday?
    I wanted to Thank you Steve for your help with the heating pad.

I have 4 Easterns(mine: Furbie and Whiplash; moms: Diamond and Silky) all are 5 and half months old. So much fun gaters are.