Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

Re: Humidity

NOPE LOL. I mist when it's low, but only a little, and only if i need it,

I only mist when one of my snakes are about to shed. It prevents retained sheds, which can kill babies. I mist 2-3 times a day when a snake is about to shed in my 20 gallons, because there is usually a lower humidity there, and only once every couple of days in my 1 gallon, because humidity stays inside the tank for longer. It's your choice whether to mist or not.
    Chantel
    2.2.3 Thamnophis ordinoides Derpy Scales, Hades, Mama, Runt, Pumpkin, Azul, Spots
    (Rest in peace Snakey, Snap, Speckles, Silver, Ember and Angel.)

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by snakehill View Post
    Okay I just misted the tank and the humidity level went way up to 87 so maybe not a good idea eh?
    That's OK on occasion, or especially at shedding time but it should dry out quickly. Substrate should be dry 99% of the time.

Humidity isn't really an issue with garter snakes unless it's constantly very low (40 or below) or constantly too high (above 75 or so). Constant dampness or very high humidity will surely cause problems. Other than that, they are comfortable at humidity levels that would be comfortable for you and I. And just like you and I, they don't like their "feet" constantly wet or damp.

In any case, it's important to keep the substrate dry. (occasional moisture that evaporates quickly is OK) A moist corner or some moistened moss in a corner is fine, especially for babies but too much moisture will cause problems. It can cause blister disease and/or bacteria to flourish, causing skin and respiratory infections.

Garter snakes seem to enjoy a misting every now and then but don't do it if the humidity is high or if the substrate doesn't dry out quickly. If it doesn't dry out quickly, then you need to take another look at your temperatures and ventilation to make sure they're adequate.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Okay I just misted the tank and the humidity level went way up to 87 so maybe not a good idea eh?
    That was just right off right? Like, it didn't stay that way? If it did, I would be incredibly jealous. I mist my frog at least four times a day, keep his substrate moist, and that cage STILL stays less humid than it needs to be.

I've never misted Houdini, and I've never run into any problems with it. Of course the ambient humidity is probably in about the right range where I live...
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

Bonniedale Farm Rescue snakehill's Avatar

Talking Re: Humidity

Maybe I'll get some frogs!

"PM Boots For Custom Title" d_virginiana's Avatar

Maybe I'll get some frogs!
    Do it! They're great garbage disposals for leftover snake food (mine is a pac, so he has no problem taking care of uneaten worms and pinkies)
    Lora

3.0 T. sirtalis sirtalis, 1.1 T. cyrtopsis ocellatus, 1.0 L. caerulea, 0.1 C. cranwelli, 0.1 T. carolina, 0.1 P. regius, 0.1 G. rosea, 0.0.1 B. smithi, 0.1 H. carolinensis

I love Whites! You can't keep other frogs with them though! GULP! I love Red-eyes too but I don't do very well with those! LOL
    Last edited by snakehill; 06-26-2011 at 06:13 PM.

I have a condition! RedSidedSPR's Avatar

I'm thinking of getting dumpys or a pacman.

Dumpys aka Whites Tree Frogs are better if you like to handle your frogs.(always wash your hands before and after handling them!) I hope I don't get any comments from a FROG EXPERT. (you know who!)