Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Thanks DHL!!

Basilisk (The King of all Serpents) enigma200316's Avatar

Re: Thanks DHL!!

real sorry to hear that Sid......

I hope you get the others in a timely fashion.......
    Justin

That really sucks, I'm sorry for your loss.
    Good that you warn others about it!

Really sorry to hear that Sid. I'm always worried when I have to have animals "delievered". That's why I'd always prefer to pick stuff up in person or get it at a show or something. Again, really sorry for the loss.
    Roy
    0.1 T.s.pallidulus

"Fourth shed, A Success" Gijs & Sabine's Avatar

I'm very sorry to hear about this terrible news, Sid
    When I ordered some garters from Germany from a friend of ours last year and this spring, there were no problems at all. The snakes were delivered the next day. But lucky they were not delivered by DHL.

I once had a mishap with a delivery, because my friend, who had been left to wait for the delivery didn't understand our intercom system (I think)
    when I called the carrier, after realizing they had attempted delivery earlier, they told me that they would attempt re-delivery next day
    after pleading and crying on the phone, they got the truck to come back and deliver just a couple of hours later the same day
    I really like that I got a live person to cry to and plead with
    and that they actually reached the truck driver and all that
    and this despite the fact that they're a huge company
    recently I had to make decision, how to get a snake shipped and decided to spend the extra bucks on this shipper, because they've consistently come through
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Dutch, bold and Thamnophis-crazy Thamnophis's Avatar

That's a terrible thing, Sid.

But I cannot believe they died from dehydration. Garter snakes can easily do without water for a week or more.
    Most probably is that the box has been in a to warm environment (standing in the sun, for example) and that this caused their death. In a closed environment, like a box or so, temperatures get high very quick when the sun shines on it.
    It is always advisable to be a loser if you cannot become a winner. Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Thamnophis View Post
    That's a terrible thing, Sid.

But I cannot believe they died from dehydration. Garter snakes can easily do without water for a week or more.
    Most probably is that the box has been in a to warm environment (standing in the sun, for example) and that this caused their death. In a closed environment, like a box or so, temperatures get high very quick when the sun shines on it.
    The cause may well have been heat. The poor babies were in a warehouse, boxed of coarse, from late thursday until the next Wed. am.

I was not aware that Garters could go that long with no water, food sure and much longer too.
    Sid
    9.14 T. s sirtalis, 2.2. T. ordinoides, 1.1 T. e vagrans, 1.1 T. s parietalis,
    1.0 T. s sackenii- Peninsular Ribbon

the red sided giant reptileparadise's Avatar

ah, man...that sucks...Not only for you, but the garters as well (offcourse...)

All the carriers have had problems don't think you are are going to get any better service with the other carriers.If they were packed better they probally would not have died.I always ship my garters in wet paper towells.Just in case this kind of thing happens.If you ship or receive enough garters it will happen eventually.I would request that they are shipped in wet paper towells and a cold or hot pack in bad temps.I learned the wet paper towell thing from felzer.Never lost a snake in transit.Even ones that were delayed up to five days.

thanks for the wet paper towel tip
    that's a good useful thing to remember
    but extreme temps for extended periods are something that cannot be adequately compensated for, even with hot/cold packs
    I've been holding off getting a couple of snakes shipped from some place in Tennessee with barbaric temps
    as you said
    things can go wrong even with the most fantastic shipper
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain