Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Never shed

Re: Escapee, recaught with baggage

Sounds silly but im too attached to them to think of them fending for themselves, so releasing them is not even a consideration. I dont think I can give them all enough attention, not to mention the responsibility of feeding and cleaning up after them so they probably will end up at a pet shop. Most likely people who buy from petstores will not breed them, unless accidentaly with vivmates. If thats the case, then chalk it up to fate.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim C. View Post
    Sounds silly but im too attached to them to think of them fending for themselves, so releasing them is not even a consideration. I dont think I can give them all enough attention, not to mention the responsibility of feeding and cleaning up after them so they probably will end up at a pet shop. Most likely people who buy from petstores will not breed them, unless accidentaly with vivmates. If thats the case, then chalk it up to fate.
    Fate would not be the word I would be thinking of.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

"First shed In Progress"

a pet shop would probably not be the best place for these guys. once they leave your care you have no idea who they are going to, or how they will be cared for and treated.
    3.3.1 Thamnophis sirtalis sirtalis
    0.1 Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis
    1.1 Python regius

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I appreciate you reading my post but I see nothing constructive in your comment.

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by joeyjoe9876 View Post
    a pet shop would probably not be the best place for these guys. once they leave your care you have no idea who they are going to, or how they will be cared for and treated.
    Thanks for your input, If you know anyone interested in having an unusual normal and will do what is best for them I would be willing to sell them for a fair price to cover shipping and a little extra for my time involved thus far. If not my only option is the local pet store that can legally sell domestic reptiles. After all I cant release them. I plan on keeping one female and would consider trading the rest. I am interested in a radix and blue. (CB baby females only please, not interested in any more surprises)
    Last edited by Tim C.; 09-29-2012 at 11:20 PM.

Selling them to a pet shop wouldn't be a good idea. You can try and post an ad on the For Sale/Trade/Adoption section of the forum. Just be sure to re-explain the situation, so any potential buyers will know what they're geting into.
    Last edited by ProXimuS; 09-30-2012 at 12:58 AM.
    ~* Emily *~
    Canis lupus familiaris- Tippy, Thamnophis proximus orarius- Proximus, Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis- Tallie

Euthanize them, or keep them. "Fate" is no excuse for letting them spread.

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    I appreciate you reading my post but I see nothing constructive in your comment.

I certainly didn't mean to offend you with my post. That wasn't the intent.
    Please accept my apology.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

... so they probably will end up at a pet shop. Most likely people who buy from petstores will not breed them, unless accidentaly with vivmates. If thats the case, then chalk it up to fate.
    The petshop is the worst place for them to go - No matter how good the pet shop - the sale is the most important thing and follow up on whether these hybrids are being bred is going to be nil.
    Chalking eventual outcomes to 'fate' is null and void here - this is your responsibility - future breedings are therefore not down to fate but simply down to your actions.

Your options, as already stated:

• Keep them yourself
    • Find responsible homes for them. With people that won't breed further or risk polluting the captive genepool
    • Euthanise them
    • Find someone that has ophiophagus snakes and needs feeders

At any rate, the pet shop route will only encourage others to think that hybrids must be a viable option and start a chain of fallacy.

We've had others here produce unwanted hybrids before. Forum members here are your most likely option for finding responsible homes so start advertising them.

The last thing you may want to bear in mind that for the next litter or so there is a chance that some of the future offspring may also be 'polluted', so to speak.
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

I agree with what the other members are saying. The babies do look like easterns from the pics...although it is hard to tell for sure. If they are hybrids, I would keep them...if you cannot care for all of them, I certainly understand...it is a huge responsibility. Advertise here on the forum to look for good homes for them. In my experience, most pet stores do not even know how to care for garters properly. Also, you could not guarantee the babies are going to good homes. Half the time people buy snakes for their children who know nothing about caring for snakes and the snakes sit in a dirty tank, unfed and dehydrated until they die. It's just not a good idea. Also...many garters don't make it out of the pet store because the pet store doesn't know how to care for them properly and they under or overheat them or try to feed them crickets. I'm sure you could find a forum member who would be willing to take them.
    Marnie
    3.3 T.s.sirtalis 1.0 T.marcianus 1.2 T.radix 1.0 T.s.parietalis
    Izzy, Seeley, Ziggy, Perseus, Peanut, Snapper, Hermes, Sadie, Osiris, Seraphina, Little Joe