Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help sexing

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Re: Help sexing

As long as you are familiar with the landmarks on the snakes body and use the proper technique popping and probing are safe. You will need to be visually instructed by someone experienced in the procedures. However practice will be your biggest confidence builder. Also the number of sub caudal scales is another determinating factor in sex identification. Snakes grow throughout their lives, they don't ever stop growing. As evidenced by the lifelong shedding that they do. It's called indeterminate growth.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Tommytradix's Avatar

popping adults is not reccomended at all.

Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by Tommytradix View Post
    popping adults is not reccomended at all.
    Popping adults is not recommended for inexperienced keepers. Keepers will need to be instructed by someone who is familiar and learned in the safe procedure. Same thing for probing which is the preferred method that is used by exotic vets in sex determination.
    Steve, this was informative and someone's opinion on a forum. We all have opinions, just like I am relating mine it's up to the individual which way they want to go with the information that is disseminated.

Steve, this was informative and someone's opinion on a forum. We all have opinions, just like I am relating mine it's up to the individual which way they want to go with the information that is disseminated.[/QUOTE]

I realize that Albert. I simple posted the link on something I found in the hopes it would help add to the discussing about whether popping was right or wrong for adults. I can certainly post some more links if needed.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!

I realize that Albert. I simple posted the link on something I found in the hopes it would help add to the discussing about whether popping was right or wrong for adults. I can certainly post some more links if needed.

Well that would be up to Simland and if he is satisfied with the information or feels the need for more links. He was the person who was asking about clarification. I hope we helped with his question.

Old and wise snake

Put it in with a male and female and see what happens. LOL

Or count the subcadual scales which can also be a very reliable method. When in doubt you may have to use more than one method that you feel confident with and have practiced enough to be accurate. I still make mistakes as do plenty of keepers and breeders. Nothing to be afraid of if you are confident in your landmarks, approach and technique.

"First shed In Progress"

That was informative, thank you.

That video makes it look easy to pop older snakes, but if I were to try, I wouldn't want to put too much pressure, but, then if nothing came out, I wouldn't know if it's because there's nothing there or if I just didn't put enough pressure....

What are the subcaudal scale count ranges for males and females? The tail seems to be about as long as that of my male.

I'm leaning more and more toward "male" because everything said in this thread and because the more I look, the more I see a thick male.

Quote Originally Posted by Simland View Post
    That was informative, thank you.

That video makes it look easy to pop older snakes, but if I were to try, I wouldn't want to put too much pressure, but, then if nothing came out, I wouldn't know if it's because there's nothing there or if I just didn't put enough pressure....

What are the subcaudal scale count ranges for males and females? The tail seems to be about as long as that of my male.

I'm leaning more and more toward "male" because everything said in this thread and because the more I look, the more I see a thick male.
    Let me know if you would like more links that might help in this discussion and your ultimate decision. I've always found that more information is better since it allows for a more open-minded thought process. Sort of like brainstorming ideas.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!