Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Pairings for 2013

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    Please don't call these Narcisse Phase! If you do, make it 100% clear that the animals have no lineage. While something way back may have originated from the area, I can guarantee that there is definitely some pollution in the line. I am working with animals from the interlake locality. These are animals that overwinter at the Narcisse Dens. I am trying to get a group of these animals into the U.S. and would hate for any mixup to occur.

By no means am I trying to infringe upon your right to name the animals! Just please do so responsibly!
    I shall call them Neil's Narcisse Phase. Lol just kidding, I will sell them as Northern Garters. Are you going to name yours narcisse phase? If you do successfully get some into the US, I would love to own some. Good luck with your project!
    -Greg
    1.1T.s. concinnus, 1.1 T.s. parietalis, 1.0 T.s. semifasciatus, 0.1 T. radix
    "Garters are predictable. Predictably variable" - Neil Balchan

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    I shall call them Neil's Narcisse Phase.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg'sGarters View Post
    Lol just kidding, I will sell them as Northern Garters.

When I was at the dens I saw a wide variety of redness.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Oh really, I've never been to the dens, just seen pictures, it's definitely on my "To Do Before I Die" list though.
    -Greg

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    When I was at the dens I saw a wide variety of redness.
    Which is why I'm wondering why call them that. Like any other variety of red sided, the amount of red in the Narcisse snakes varies from quite a lot, to none at all. There's really nothing unique to snakes from the Narcisse dens that sets them apart from snakes that are not from the Narcisse dens.

You might as well be calling them "striped morph".

I think I'll stick with Northern Red-sided. Something else, does anyone know if Northern is a morph, phase, or just non-genetic regional pattern?
    -Greg

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

The name isnt a big deal! The important thing is that whoever is buying them knows that the animals cannot be traced back to that locality. You can call them pineapple unicorn if you'd like to!

I hope my last response did not come off as blunt or disrespectful. I understand that text can sound cold or heartless! I just wouldn't want to cause confusion in the already small group of people interested in these great snakes. These snakes may very well be from Narcisse, but we have no way of knowing.

The animals that I encounter at Narcisse are typically very high in black coloraton with red skin inbetween the scales. Animals with higher amounts of red as well as those lacking red are not uncommon. One thing that makes me sceptical is the fact that the red in these snakes moves to a blue or white closer to the spine. Here in Manitoba, that is the typical look of snakes found out east in the whiteshell region. They also have greater amounts of yellow colouration. If I knew for a fact that your snakes originated here and I had to guess a locality, I would think they were from the Whiteshell.

Whatever they are, they are a beautiful example of this subspecies and I hope you are blessed with a healthy litter.
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado

I don't think it's anything but an added word.
    Steve
    5 awesome kids!
    Emmy, Kale, Molly, Gabby, Hailee
    They are not just snakes. They're garter snakes.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/thamnophis14?feature=mhee

Quote Originally Posted by thamneil View Post
    The name isnt a big deal! The important thing is that whoever is buying them knows that the animals cannot be traced back to that locality. You can call them pineapple unicorn if you'd like to!

I hope my last response did not come off as blunt or disrespectful. I understand that text can sound cold or heartless! I just wouldn't want to cause confusion in the already small group of people interested in these great snakes. These snakes may very well be from Narcisse, but we have no way of knowing.

The animals that I encounter at Narcisse are typically very high in black coloraton with red skin inbetween the scales. Animals with higher amounts of red as well as those lacking red are not uncommon. One thing that makes me sceptical is the fact that the red in these snakes moves to a blue or white closer to the spine. Here in Manitoba, that is the typical look of snakes found out east in the whiteshell region. They also have greater amounts of yellow colouration. If I knew for a fact that your snakes originated here and I had to guess a locality, I would think they were from the Whiteshell.

Whatever they are, they are a beautiful example of this subspecies and I hope you are blessed with a healthy litter.
    Not a bit offensive at all to me. I completely understand that you have been working with a bloodline from the actual site and you do not want the gene pool to be muddied up. Thank you, maybe call I'll them Northern Whiteshell Pineapple Unicorns! . Or maybe if I can produce a really nice bloodline, I can call them the Donlan (my last name) Northern Garters or Donlan Whiteshell Garters. What do you guys think I should name them (assuming I can produce a nice bloodline)? Or should I just stick with the Northern Garters?
    -Greg

"Fourth shed, A Success" thamneil's Avatar

And to all of you all who think that these Narcisse garters are no different than the rest, you're all wrong!

You have to see it to believe it...
    Neil
    The Thamnophis Aficionado