Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hi, I'm New Here!

Re: Glad I found this forum!!

Hi All
    I appreciate all of the help and tips! Callow had finally started going normally, and everything was going great. Unfortunately my 4 year old decided Callow wanted to go "home" and released him when I wasn't looking. Not in the house, he took the snake outside and put him on the grass in our yard. Long story short, we no longer have a garter. My husband was super upset, so I think we'll be snakeless for a while and go back to our larger breeds. Thanks again, All!

Never shed

Quote Originally Posted by guidofatherof5 View Post
    Critter Keeper? Slits in the top and a carrying handle? If that's the case be very careful with that as some babies can wedge their head in the slits and die.
    Wow, good to know.

"PM Boots For Custom Title" Albert Clark's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PickeringiiMom View Post
    Hi All
    I appreciate all of the help and tips! Callow had finally started going normally, and everything was going great. Unfortunately my 4 year old decided Callow wanted to go "home" and released him when I wasn't looking. Not in the house, he took the snake outside and put him on the grass in our yard. Long story short, we no longer have a garter. My husband was super upset, so I think we'll be snakeless for a while and go back to our larger breeds. Thanks again, All!
    Wow! Sorry for the loss. Maybe you guys want to consider going with a captive bred puget in the future? I know it's a tough choice paying for something that is routinely in your backyard but it's only a suggestion. Good luck.
    Stay in peace and not pieces.

Hi All
    hi ami i am gabe i live in roy wa not to far from you if you really wanting another garter snake i have some cb radix eating f/t large pinkies and lots of tanks with lids if your interested pm me ill give you a good deal or if your interested in saving a checkered garter theres one for 15.99 at the marysville petco by mod pizza being fed goldfish

Quote Originally Posted by gartergabe View Post
    hi ami i am gabe i live in roy wa not to far from you if you really wanting another garter snake i have some cb radix eating f/t large pinkies and lots of tanks with lids if your interested pm me ill give you a good deal or if your interested in saving a checkered garter theres one for 15.99 at the marysville petco by mod pizza being fed goldfish
    The radixes are fine being fed pinks. I would avoid the checkereds due to them being fed goldfish. Goldfish are the worst thing to feed any snake. They are considered "junk food" for garters and are a serious health risk.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert Clark View Post
    The radixes are fine being fed pinks. I would avoid the checkereds due to them being fed goldfish. Goldfish are the worst thing to feed any snake. They are considered "junk food" for garters and are a serious health risk.
    thank you albert the checkered isn't mine its at a local pet store i would never feed gold fish because of the effects on the snake that why i said save the snake before someone els with out knowing the risks buys him and feeds goldfish until it dies i want to save him but my money is tight and its closer to ami then it is me

Quote Originally Posted by gartergabe View Post
    thank you albert the checkered isn't mine its at a local pet store i would never feed gold fish because of the effects on the snake that why i said save the snake before someone els with out knowing the risks buys him and feeds goldfish until it dies i want to save him but my money is tight and its closer to ami then it is me
    Oh, I knew the checkered wasn't yours I just wanted p.mom to know about the goldfish. I saw you mentioned that it was in a pet store.

Thanks everyone! I appreciate the welcome and tips! We think we found the problem. As mentioned before, our experience lies mostly with pythons and boas. As such, the tank we had lying around was a 40 long. We think it's too big for him right now and he's not getting warm enough, as we had the tank outside with just a heating pad, so he's having trouble digesting. We moved his tank inside last night and we're going to pick up a UV heat bulb today and see if this helps. Unfortunately putting him in a smaller tank isn't feasible for us right now because we don't have anything smaller and we can't afford the cost of a new tank. We live in the Kitsap County area, if anyone near us has an extra we could take off their hands for cheap. Thanks again, everyone!
    Be careful using the heat pad without a thermostat, rheostat , or dimmer. Those heat pads can get extremely hot! They can get as high as 140F! What about using a tub with latches on each end? They are usually cheaper than a tank.