Page 18 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Re: Is he Venoumous? "Rear Fanged"?

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    the boomslang is an example of a deadly rear fanged snake....

Boomslang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

tiger keelbacks have caused one death I have read about years ago.....
    Indeed. Supposedly, it's the snake with the most potent venom in Africa.

well put, Shannon
    rhea
    "you cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus" Mark Twain

Someone needs to sort Petco out!!! ...
    Keeping - 'Florida blue' sirtalis, concinnus, infernalis, parietalis, radix, marcianus and ocellatus.

Juvenile snake

I agree. I'm never getting another animal from them again. Unless that is I decide I'm crazy enough to try and breed some keelbacks in the near future. Probably not ready for that yet though. Maybe next year.
    Patrick and sometimes Bethany

As Shannon says, this is a venomous species. Although the toxins are believed to be very mild, I would be cautious if you're 'allergic to everything'.

The African Twig Snake Thelotornis kirtlandi was also considered harmless until someone died as a result of an envenomated bite.
    James.

Re: Hes not a Garter!! Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by dekaybrown View Post
    They are Indonesian, and completely harmless.

Have no fear, they make great pets, and we will still be supportive to you all the way

The care is so similar to a garter.
    I can't completely agree with you on this Wayne. I would say they are 'considered' to be completely harmless.
    I'm not so sure they make great pets either. I never heard of anyone keeping them alive for very long at all. They are always wild-caught and as far as I can assertain they are always loaded with parasites.
    I think they're one for a keeper who's prepared to spend a lot of money to get them established.
    James.

Forum Moderator aSnakeLovinBabe's Avatar

Re: Hes not a Garter!! Please help!

Quote Originally Posted by adamanteus View Post
    I'm not so sure they make great pets either.

They don't, actually not in the least. They are definitely not for a beginning keeper.

They are always wild-caught and as far as I can assertain they are always loaded with parasites.
    I think they're one for a keeper who's prepared to spend a lot of money to get them established
    *raises hand*
    Mother of many snakes and a beautiful baby girl! I am also a polymer clay artist!

Old and wise snake

Quote Originally Posted by ssssnakeluvr View Post
    the boomslang is an example of a deadly rear fanged snake....

Boomslang - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If I didn't have my kids I'd would have a boomslang.. They are my favo snake ever...
    Thanks, ~*Natalie*~

Old and wise snake

Quote Originally Posted by aSnakeLovinBabe View Post
    To be perfectly honest and very blunt, yes this snake is venomous and is rear fanged. Those that are saying they are not, are actually meaning to say that the snake is "considered harmless". That never changes the fact that they do carry rear fangs in that mouth of theirs. No it does not mean that this snake's bite is comparable to that of a rattlesnake or a mamba, but by the books, this is a venomous animal. They are considered harmless snakes, but hey, so were the red-necked keelback and the lyre snake, until they up and killed someone, and seriously wounded a few others. Lyre snakes are now outlawed as pets in a state or two ( forget which) because ONE person, a small boy, got bit, had a serious reaction, and died. Before that it was commonplace to pick them up, play with them, keep them as a first pet like so many of us did with garters as kids. The tiger keelback was also once considered harmless but that's not so much the case anymore. Rear fangs are enlarged, grooved, fixed teeth in the back of their mouth meant to aid the "chewing" of toxins into the skin of predator or prey. It's a terrible delivery system, but nonetheless it's still there. They are not hollow and do not "inject" venom like most front fangs would, which for some reason seems to scare and intimidate people a lot more, but that does not necessarily make it any less dangerous, considering some of the deadliest species of snake are rear fanged. Hognoses are rear fanged/venomous, garters are rear fanged/venomous, and even with those "totally harmless" species, some people do have negative reactions. I've not taken a hognose bite but I hear that it puffs a bit and itches a lot. To most, the striped keelback's effect have been noted as practically harmless, but in all seriousness, if you really are that volatile when it comes to allergic reactions, I would strongly consider not keeping this snake anymore. Very little is actually known about the full effects and complexity of the toxins that these snakes secrete. Even though they are not prone to biting at all, should an accident happen, and you do have a reaction, there is nothing that they can give you at the hopsital to reverse the process. I really, really do not get why pet stores are getting these snakes to sell. Very little is known about them overall, they are a delicate, exotic snake from overseas and they are being misrepresented! They are definitely not your run of the mill pet snake like the ball pythons, corn snakes and kingsnakes you see being sold alongside them. I am not trying to be mean or deter you from keeping your pet.... just trying to help you out!
    Pine snake are rear fanged.. I've got bit from the female I use to have and it was like any other snake bite only it puffed a bit and then I got tiny little blisters where she bit me.. and it itched.. And that was it..
    Thanks, ~*Natalie*~

Quote Originally Posted by Charlet_2007 View Post
    Pine snake are rear fanged..
    Are you sure about that?